Cambridge Audio Azur 640p -- How much of an improvement?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone,

After reading the good review of the CA Azur 640p phono stage, I've been considering picking one up since they're not too expensive. I'm just wondering, how much of an improvement is this likely to be over the internal one of my Audiolab 8000a (from the mid 90s)? I'm using a high-output MC cartridge so would be using the MM stage of the Azur. Anyone have experience with one of these phono stages?

Thanks

Lydgate

A

Anonymous

Lydgate, the phono stage in my ancient Creek amp is notably better than the PP2 and the pro-ject box I'd bought previously, so it's not guaranteed that a separate phono stage will be better. Also, consider the Audiolab phono stage, which is apparently very good indeed.

matthewpiano

Tarquinh:Lydgate, the phono stage in my ancient Creek amp is notably better than the PP2 and the pro-ject box I'd bought previously, so it's not guaranteed that a separate phono stage will be better. Also, consider the Audiolab phono stage, which is apparently very good indeed.

Have to agree. The phono stage in my Denon PMA1500ae leaves my Graham Slee 'The Bridge' Gram Amp 1 for dead. The Slee just sits silent in my spare room these days.

A

Anonymous

i used to have the audiolab 8000c pre amp,and that broke down so i then bought the cambridge 640p phono and it beat the audiolab nae bother, it is a steal at the price in my opinion ,, also if you dont like it you can return it to richersounds for a refund no questions asked, as always try before you buy is the best bet.

A

Anonymous

Since I have no experience with phono stages I'm not really sure whether the Audiolab 8000a is good or not. Previously I had a Mordaunt-Short A5000 amp which was a few years older, and the 8000a is dramatically better -- but obviously in that case I replaced the phono stage, the pre-amp stage, and the power stage all at once so it's hard to tell how the phono stages compare.

Obviously I'd like to improve my sound, and thought if the 640p were really that good then maybe that would be a cheaper place to start than e.g. the speakers.

Maybe I will try to persuade RS to let me audition one.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
A home trial would be your best move - the 8000a phono stage was noted as one of the best in an integrated amp, but it depends on how old the 8000a is and how it's been treated during it's life. If it's tired, then the 640p could ace it.

Also, you have different loading options on the 640p - and can try the MC stage as well with your 160 (I've heard of people running their 110/160s through an MC stage and preferring it to the MM...)

A

Anonymous

Hi Fatboyslimfast,

Thanks for your advice. The 8000a is fairly old, black (which I think is a good sign) but has a B in the serial (which I think means it's slightly older than the best ones). I got it on ebay but it's in pretty good nick -- I met the owner in person and he seems to have taken very good care of it.

I've tried the DL-160 through MC (since the 8000a has both as well) and I think the output on the cart is too high as it sounds slightly distorted.

Anyway, I'll call my local RS and see what they say.

Thanks

Lydgate

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
If it's not too far, I find that calling in person tends to be a lot more effective... also, I think the 640p has a higher overload ceiling on MC than the 8000a, but worth a go anyway!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts