Cambridge Audio 851A or CXA60

jonathanstromstedt

Oct 29, 2017
Visit site
Hi

as a result of sales in Sweden I can get an 851A for only a couple of hundred USD more than the CXA60.

I ll be pairing with Dali zensor 7 in a purpose built room 8m by 5m with 2.5m ceiling. Speakers a bit over 2 m seperared.

I listing to everything and will be using optical cable to use the DAC onboard the amp. Playing only cds.

I have tried the cxa60 at home with this setup and loved it. Also 60 watts is enough.

Question here is: I really like the airiness and clarity and sensation of precision And high notes that I got from the cxa60 vs say nads or quads i tried. Also felt enough bass and volume with the cxa60. The dali 7 give a nice wide sound. Full. Warm enough. Without feeling muted. So... since the 851A is a notch up could I get that and get more of it all? I won't be able to demo at home. Will I find the same joy as with the Cxa60 but get more quality? Not interested in more power, just more quality in the general sense of the word.

Thanks for your input...

jonathan.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

jonathanstromstedt said:
Hi

as a result of sales in Sweden I can get an 851A for only a couple of hundred USD more than the CXA60.

I ll be pairing with Dali zensor 7 in a purpose built room 8m by 5m with 2.5m ceiling. Speakers a bit over 2 m seperared.

I listing to everything and will be using optical cable to use the DAC onboard the amp. Playing only cds.

I have tried the cxa60 at home with this setup and loved it. Also 60 watts is enough.

Question here is: I really like the airiness and clarity and sensation of precision And high notes that I got from the cxa60 vs say nads or quads i tried. Also felt enough bass and volume with the cxa60. The dali 7 give a nice wide sound. Full. Warm enough. Without feeling muted. So... since the 851A is a notch up could I get that and get more of it all? I won't be able to demo at home. Will I find the same joy as with the Cxa60 but get more quality? Not interested in more power, just more quality in the general sense of the word.

Thanks for your input...

jonathan.

Hi Jonathan, I think you would. More power means better dynamic capability. Different components etc. Better dynamics means the music is more real and faithfully reproduced.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
jonathanstromstedt said:

Thanks for your input...

jonathan.

I'd go for the 851A, no doubt. It will provide effortless performance in situations where the CXA60 will feel strained. You are not buying a cheap PA amp, it's essentially the same amplifier but with less hardware compromises to meet a price point.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Just bear in mind that the 851A does not have an on board DAC, therefore no digital inputs. If they are important to you, take a look at the CXA80 which I understand uses some of the designs of the 851A. More powerful, better control than the CXA60 with the DAC and digital inputs, just not quite up to the standard of the 851A.

jonathanstromstedt

Oct 29, 2017
Visit site
thank you for the update and information! As a DAC would set me back further etc..i am leaning towards the CXa60. Also, as i am new to this, i figure that i will attain a certain level of knowledge about hearing, and then for my next upgrade, i can get something better thatn either the 60 or 851, and i will know how to appreciate even more. Can't give the new kid on the block a ferrari, need my trainings wheels first!

insider9

You're starting with a decent setup so I wouldn't worry to much about dac. You have the speakers you like and an amp you've heard and enjoyed. That's all what matters. No doubt in time you'll familiarise yourself with the setup and look for new things. That's the best way to do it.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
The big Cambridge will give you better dynamics, lower noise floor (more low level detail) and power/control.

Whether all this translates to better perceived musicality and fluidity only you can decide but as the 8 is only a couple of hundred more in your country it would certainly be my choice.

Ps. Just noticed you have another thread going. If you are blissfully happy with the 60 ... why rock the boat? - The 200 difference almost buys you a years Tidal Hifi or similar. More expensive does not always mean better (to your ears).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts