Cambridge Audio 840a v2 or Yamaha as2000

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

which one of the above mentioned would you recommend pairing up with the below listed setup. Music genres I listen to vary from electronica: Cassius, Depeche Mode, to rock: Black Keys, Rage Against The Machine and Hip Hop.

Looking forward to hearing your advice!

Cheers

Mooly

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Impossible to advise really as it is you it has to please... and the only way for you to find out is to go and listen or even better have on home dem.

The Cambridge has a reputation for being very clean and clinical sounding, the Yamaha a bit of an unknown to me. The designer of the A840 is Douglas Self, someone who pursues technical excellence to the extreme and whose designs are totally objective. The fact that other amps sound better is not entertained... if it measures better it is better. It's up to you to find out what you want.

I would perhaps consider something like the Marantz Pearl-Lite as an alternative or if the budget allows something like a Sugden A21

You mention a lot of digital sources and my opinion is that you want something that will really flatter them and sound pleasant at all times, and not an amp where only one or two tracks are listenable.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for advise. I singled out these to amps as they offer comperable power output and have balanced XLR connection - which should work fine with DacMagic. Pricewise where I live (Poland) the amps cost more or less the same. Will hear them to make a final selection.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for advise. I singled out these to amps as they offer comperable power output and have balanced XLR connection - which should work fine with DacMagic. Pricewise where I live (Poland) the amps cost more or less the same. Will hear them to make a final selection.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
MichalGoclowski said:

Thanks for the info. Now I understand. Let us know how you get on with listening to the AS2000. Yamaha particularly stress the improvements the AS2000 balanced design brings over something like the AS1000 which has unbalanced RCA inputs only.

audipheonix

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I have some experience with Yamaha AS500 they are very good . The As200 are of the same series with more power. IMO the Yamaha is very good in the low frequency range and it sound warm with my Kef. The Finish is very good & sturdy.

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
I demoed a NAD 375Bee amp last week together with the 565Bee cdplayer connected directly to the amp, and with the cdplayer connected to the dacmagic and then to the amp. The setup without the dacmagic sounded more detailed, more open and with a much bigger soundstage.

I don't know if you're going to use the dacmagic for every digital source you have, but imo, the DM can only be considered an upgrade if the source player is "cheap" or, for cdplayers, costs less than 800euro.

Don't get me wrong, that dacmagic is a nice piece of kit, but it also has its limitations. And I believe that the Yamaha 2000 amp deserves a better source.

A

Anonymous

The idea is to replace the "heart" of the system which is currently the weakest link. Then other upgrades should follow. So far I came across Denon PMA 1510 AE, and it sounds terribly. No control over bass, trebles make ears bleed. A great great disappointment. Yamaha dealer refused to rent AS 2000 so I'm looking for another one. Will keep you posted.

A

Anonymous

I can't comment about Yamaha AS-2000 as I've never auditioned it but I know all Cambridge's integrated amps quite well. Both 740A and 840A V2 sounds clinical, with clear emphasis to detail. For my liking, they are thin, lack warmth and sound dry on highs. In sum, they're not definetely the most natural amplifiers in their price range. Mids bring lots of information but they are a bit forward, which may explain the high clarity of the mids.

Do you have any other option in Polland?

A

Anonymous

I don't know if they fit on your budget, but all following models are safe purchases:

- Creek Destiny 2

- Primare i31 (discontinued model)

- Marantz PM-15S2

- Electrocompaniet EC3

A

Anonymous

Someone recommended a Sugden A21. It's a fine amp indeed but you may feel a lack of authority on botton end as A21 is a class A design.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
I have used (and still own) a pioneer a400 and a rega brio (earlier model). Super sounding amps which is why I still have them.

I bought an 840A v2 three years ago and its the only one I listen to now. It is a powerful and well controlled amp. Great clarity and spaciousness are its hallmarks. The feeling of unrestrained power is superb. It has a realistically natural and dynamic sound. The other 2 amps harden up when driven hard. The 840 v2 carries on going.

It is not hard,clinical or overbright. Great value for money - just listen to it and please report back. I certainly am not looking to change.

Good luck, tonky

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Audio Maniac said:
I don't know if they fit on your budget, but all following models are safe purchases:

- Creek Destiny 2

- Primare i31 (discontinued model)

- Marantz PM-15S2

- Electrocompaniet EC3

To this excellent list I would add:
Sugden Mystro
Musical Fidelity M3i
Unison Research Unico R

A

Anonymous

Also:

- Moon 250i

Sub 1000 pounds models:

- Creek Evolution 5350

- Moon 220i

I took a look at Sugden A21 Series 2's specifications. Sugden informs a power of $23wpc. I doubt a 11kg class A amplifier is capable of delivering such power without burning the output. Luxman L-550A II and Accuphase E-550 are also rated 20wpc but they weight over 20Kg (almost twice as much). The A21 S2 has its strenghts undeniably but it's not for all certainly. Rockers may find it dull and too well behaved.

As regards Cambridge 840A V2, both Rega Brio and Piooner A400 can't be used as a parameter to qualify the former as they are entry level amplifiers. The 840A V2 costs 2,7 as much the old Rega Brio and is suppose to sound much better given the price difference. Pioneer A400 was a best selling amplifier in the past, but in comparison to the best modern amplifiers, it lacks resolution on mids and sounds a bit bright. Yes, I have no doubt 840A V2 outperforms the latter.

Cheers!

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
But the 840A v2 is not quite deserving of the criticism you gave it. I have also heard it in comparison to the naim nait 5i. I preferred the 840.

Quite a few contributors on the forum have or have had this amp and have enjoyed its musical reproduction.

As always do listen to it first! As you should with any piece of equipment.

Tonky

A

Anonymous

My opinion is not only guessing. I used to own CA 640A V2 and 740a and also auditioned extensively to the 840A V2. So I do know them quite well.

CA 840A V2 is okay for a 800 pounds integrated amp, although, in its price range, I'd prefer Primare i21, Creek 5350SE and its successors. By the way, like you, I also prefer 840A V2 over Nain Nait 5i. I find the latter too bright. Anyway, despite being a good product, in my opinion 840A V2 is just not outstanding. Besides, some parts are not reliable, like potentiometer, imput selector, speakers posts and other electro-mechanical parts.

AKMH

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I have been using the Cambridge Audio 840A V2 amp for some time. I find it to be genuinely excellent in terms of overall performance, build and component quality, as well as reliability. I had also initially considered the Yamaha AS1000 or AS2000 amps, about a year ago when shopping for a new amp. Besides the price difference, I found the Yamahas to be good amps, but on the warmer side, better suited perhaps to late-night jazz music. I'm very pleased with my CA 840A so far and find the dynamics, reserve power and option for balanced inputs (which I use) to be impressive features within its price bracket. With suitable system matching, the 840A can truly deliver a marvellous listening experience.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts