CAMBRIDGE AUDIO 840A V2 OR CYRUS 8VS2 - RUNNING B&W 685

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
I will be getting a version 2 of the Cambridge audio 840A which recently got 5 stars in WHIFI. However i have been told that CYRUS 8 is the way to go. Any one heard them both or has any suggestions? Bearing in mind i cant afford any of the bells and whistles of the CYRUS (power upgrades etc), so its out of the box sound vs sound. Any help is greatly appreciated

A

Anonymous

Try and get a demo if you can, i use the slightly older version of the cyrus amp and i can tell you it is a great listen! If detail, timeing and snap sounds good to you, go for the cyrus!!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="SHAXOS"]
I will be getting a version 2 of the Cambridge audio 840A which recently got 5 stars in WHIFI. However i have been told that CYRUS 8 is the way to go. Any one heard them both or has any suggestions? Bearing in mind i cant afford any of the bells and whistles of the CYRUS (power upgrades etc), so its out of the box sound vs sound. Any help is greatly appreciated
[/quote]

I would always encourage you to demo the kit yourself, and i must add that i have not heard the CA 840A V2. However, i have just upgraded to the Cyrus 8vs2 and all i can say is WOW. Pace, punch, fantastic stereo imaging, dynamics. It's given my hi-fi that much needed lift! Having said that, my setup is different to yours, i.e speakers and source so you never can tell. Best to judge for yourself as i found out when i tested the Cyrus against the new Naim Nait 5i (italic). I expected to prefer the Naim but to be honest the Cyrus wiped the floor with it. I would certainly demo both if you can.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="chiefbrody"]Best to judge for yourself as i found out when i tested the Cyrus against the new Naim Nait 5i (italic). I expected to prefer the Naim but to be honest the Cyrus wiped the floor with it. I would certainly demo both if you can.[/quote]

I am not surprised. Watch out for a slightly loose bass. Matches Rega's R3 perfectly. Dont bother with PSX because when you add the money there are probably better options depending on what your preferences are. We've listened many times to multi thousand pound cyrus systems, disappointing considering the amount of money involved. Still, the 8 integrated is good value.

PLuKE

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
When i listened to the 685's on a Cyris amp and cd player, I thought the 685 was rubbish, There was no bass, or no kick at all with them, Got them hooked up on a diffrent amp, And there was a massive improvement, And i bought the 685's there and then. But like is always said, What somebody likes, Somebody doesnt, Get a demo and go from there. Good luck.

Luke

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts