Cambridge Audio 640T V2 problem. PLEASE help

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a problem with my CA dab tuner 640T V2. I have posted it already few days ago but didn't get an answer:) What happens is that it works fine for hour or so and then display starts blinking and it goes silent. When I unpluge it and plug it back on it works again but not as long as before....maybe 40 mins it that happens again. I need to turn it off again and works again for shorter time... It was on top of my amp (840A V2) for a while and it got very hot and that was when it started. I put it somewhere else but it still does it. I know is a overheating problem and it looks like it is damaged permanently. When is colder in the room it works longer on hotter days only about 10 minutes. Now, my question is: IS THERE ANYWAY TO REPAIR IT? DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT IS ACTUALLY DAMAGED? Does anyone know where should I take it (in london)? I need tuner but don't want to buy new one as this one is only over a year. Can this kind of damage be sorted at all? PLEASE help:) Thank You!!!!

A

Anonymous

I would call Cambridge and ask if they know what is going on and how to fix it. Or take it to a repair shop and ask them. Sorry, can't be of any more help than that, but I'd wager that one of these two options would have a pretty good idea of what is wrong.

A

Anonymous

I know this post is over a year old, but I wonder what the outcome was, as I hace the same model with exactly the same simptoms. Mine runs fine for maybe 10 minutes then the sound goes off and the LCD display is flashing on/off. Neither the remote control nor the buttons on the unit have any control over the unit. When it gets in this state, it has to be switched off at the plug. I wonder if there is a temperature sensor in the unit that is faulty or if the power supply itselef is the problem. Need to get it fixed, but have been quoted £40 deposit before any repair work is carried out. If it is the power supply, sounds like it could be expensive. Contacted Cambridge Audio and they didn't know what the problem was.

A

Anonymous

Same story for me with this tuner, except mine only runs for a couple of minutes before it packs up. Absolutely infuriating...

If any of you have had any joy in sorting yours out please post up the info.

Cheers
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

I have the same problem, my CA 640T V2 Tuner keeps cutting out >) did anyone resolve their problem?

f1ndy

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
I know this is a very old thread, but you may like to know it seems to be a badly specifified thermal fuse.

On mine, the thermal fuses are running hot on one of the power supplies.

The mains transformer has two connectors one with three wires and one with two. The one with two wires goes to its connector immediatley next to two thermal fuses (bizarre to fuse both sides!!).

These are yellow rectangles and will be hot to touch if this is your problem. The fuses are PTC type, which are effectively temperature sensitive resistors. It seems that they are a little under-rated and so will be running warm continuously and so will age, and eventually become resistive.

The circuit is taking 600mA from the transformer's 1000mA winding, and looking at the circuitry this seems to be the right sort of current draw, so I don't think I have a fault elswhere.

The fix: replace the two ptc fuses with new ones. Try ones from uk.farnell.com, search for 9350438 which is a bourns 650mA fuse.

Best regards

Andy

oldbamboo

Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
So I got one of these at a car boot sale last Sunday for a fiver :)

Had the display issue as mentioned aboved and elsewhere. Display wouldnt last a minute before flickering into blocks and clicking noise on audio.

Got the two fuses mentioned and replaced the existing ones (which were very hot to touch) Very easy job just requires a basic screwdriver set, some dead easy soldering.

Has been playing for two hours now :)

Thankyou very much F1Andy you're a lifesaver!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts