Cambridge Audio 640A V2, is there anything better for my setup?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everybody,

I’m looking for an amp that will go best with my system. I’m currently using a Cambridge Audio 640C V2 cd player and B&W 602 S3 speakers. The logical choice would be to get the matching Cambridge Audio 640A V2, but is that really the best amp (in more or less the same price range) for my system?

Would a Rotel or NAD or other amp go better with my set-up?

Anyone got any suggestions or comments? Please?

Thanks!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
The 640A V2 is still a good amp, but starting to show its age (which is why a V3 is due later this year).

You should hear either a Rotel RA-04 (£250) or Marantz PM6002 (£270) - we feel both are better all-rounders than the Cambridge right now.

No doubt an army of NAD-lovers will be on here shortly to tell you their opinions, too!

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
The NAD C352 is an amazing buy currently from Superfi @ £270!!!

Well worth the money and will drive the B&W's really well. It'll go well with the C/A too.

Another possibility would be to look at some decent 2nd hand amps on Ebay - NAD, Cyrus, Rotel, Arcam, Musdical Fidelity.

A

Anonymous

The NAD C352 seems to be on a higher price bracket but with discounts on Superfi (£270) would that go better with my system than the Rotel RA-04 or the Marantz PM6002? Will all these 3 amps jive well with my Cambridge Audio 640c V2 or is it time for me to change that soon?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="HiFi_Newbie"]
The NAD C352 seems to be on a higher price bracket but with discounts on Superfi (£270) would that go better with my system than the Rotel RA-04 or the Marantz PM6002? Will all these 3 amps jive well with my Cambridge Audio 640c V2 or is it time for me to change that soon?
[/quote]
Nope, no need to replace the 640c, it's a very good player. I have the 540c running with the Marantz PM6002 which is a nice combination. I recommend you contact your local Superfi and cart your CD player and speakers down there and audition the amps. That way you can make an informed decision as to which suits your taste better. I suspect you'll end up choosing between the Marantz and the NAD.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I think for the next step you might need to spend £500 (rrp) to get a worthwhile upgrade otherwise you will go round in the circle!

Yes, change the cd player and the sound of the whole system will change but is it better and if it is....by how much?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts