Cambridge A6 Aero, or Q Acoustic 2050i, or Q Acoustic 3050?

seandynan

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
I'm looking for floor standers that don't have woolly bass and don't have brash upper-mid and harsh highs. I don't need sub-woofer type low freqeuncies but I want to hear the bass.

My source is a Pro-Ject Debut turntable and I listen to stuff like Kraftwerk, Dire Straits, Alt-J, Talk Talk, David Sylvian, Gerry Rafferty, It Bites, Roxy Music, Porcupine Tree, but not Nirvana, Radiohead, and smashy-crashy stuff like that. I guess I'm looking for a warm mid-range, smooth highs and clear bass.

My room is about 3m x 4m.

What do you think? Those speakers are all highly praised and in my range (£400-£500).

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Youve mentioned are good but what amp are you using?

Depending on your amp quality id really tke a look at the tannoy dc6 se floor standers at only £399 at richer sounds over any of the ones youve mentioned

seandynan said:
I'm looking for floor standers that don't have woolly bass and don't have brash upper-mid and harsh highs. I don't need sub-woofer type low freqeuncies but I want to hear the bass.

My source is a Pro-Ject Debut turntable and I listen to stuff like Kraftwerk, Dire Straits, Alt-J, Talk Talk, David Sylvian, Gerry Rafferty, It Bites, Roxy Music, Porcupine Tree, but not Nirvana, Radiohead, and smashy-crashy stuff like that. I guess I'm looking for a warm mid-range, smooth highs and clear bass.

My room is about 3m x 4m.

What do you think? Those speakers are all highly praised and in my range (£400-£500).

Welome to the forum seandynan.

Are you in the UK? If so find your nearest RicherSounds and go audition. Try and hear as many as you can.

Regardless of your amp, which isn't going to be a major contributor, I'd guess you would prefer the Aero 6 looking at your musical taste.

seandynan

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, guys.

I asked Richer Sounds here in Belfast about auditioning those 3 sets of speakers but they don't carry the Aero 6 in store(!). And the Tannoy isn't for sale any more in the Belfast store, Andrew. :(

I'm going to phone them in a minute to see if I can presuade them to bring in some Aero 6's just for a demo.

My amp is a SONY TA-FE230, which I bought off eBay in a rush because my old Rotel started acting up. I know nothing about it but it seems okay. 55 watts per channel, but I don't know if the phono stage is anything to write home about. I'm tempted to get a good phono pre and power amp to replace it, if you have any recommendations for those ;) My turntable is pretty much the only audio source I use.

And, for what it's worth, my speakers are old JPW AP3's from the early 1990's. I put new old stock drivers in them recently and they sound pretty good, but I'm hoping more modern speakers will sweeten up the mid-range and mellow out the treble.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Since you are in NI, I believe Lyric Hifi (Michael) carry Q Acoustics and Kronos AV (David/Gary) stock Tannoy...they may even have some ex-dem, if you ask. Maybe worth a call.

The Mad One

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi ive just puchased the Q Acoustics(£399) yesterday they are running right now and they are quite impressive early days yet but they are a lot bassier than i thought, everything gels well from highs to lows. the guy from sevenoaks said they could take a good week to settle in.

so i recommend them but if you really want a true bargain you really must try the tannoy v4 they are just trully amazing at the price richer sounds are selling them for (£249) of all the speakers i currently have at the moment i just keep going back to the tannoys.theres something about them that i like very enjoyable.

Good luck in your purchase.

seandynan said:
Thanks for the replies, guys.

I asked Richer Sounds here in Belfast about auditioning those 3 sets of speakers but they don't carry the Aero 6 in store(!). And the Tannoy isn't for sale any more in the Belfast store, Andrew. :(

I'm going to phone them in a minute to see if I can presuade them to bring in some Aero 6's just for a demo.

My amp is a SONY TA-FE230, which I bought off eBay in a rush because my old Rotel started acting up. I know nothing about it but it seems okay. 55 watts per channel, but I don't know if the phono stage is anything to write home about. I'm tempted to get a good phono pre and power amp to replace it, if you have any recommendations for those ;) My turntable is pretty much the only audio source I use.

And, for what it's worth, my speakers are old JPW AP3's from the early 1990's. I put new old stock drivers in them recently and they sound pretty good, but I'm hoping more modern speakers will sweeten up the mid-range and mellow out the treble.

Don't knock the phono stage, many of the older and vintage amps had very good ones because that's what most people attached to them in those days before the wonderful invention called CD came along.... :)

There are newer integrated amps with good phono stages but they are quite rare. What would be your budget for new amp?

seandynan

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
Thanks again for the advice, guys. Not sure what my budget is for any one component any more. I might have to rethink. Now I'm wondering if I aimed too low on my turntable, based on stuff I'm hearing in my headphones. :(

Perhaps I should start a new thread for that.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
seandynan said:
Thanks again for the advice, guys. Not sure what my budget is for any one component any more. I might have to rethink. Now I'm wondering if I aimed too low on my turntable, based on stuff I'm hearing in my headphones. :(

There are 3 rules when buying a vinyl based system.

1) Buy the best turntable setup you can afford.

2) Buy the best turntable............ you know the rest!

seandynan

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
davedotco said:
seandynan said:

Please see my new thread, Dave! ;)

davedotco said:
seandynan said:

After Rule No2 go and get a second job and then continue to Rule No3:-

3) Buy the best .........................

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts