Cambridge A500 and subwoofer

shauncx1

Jan 8, 2021
Visit site
Hi there,

I need some advise.

I have owned a Cambridge A500 from new.

Can I add a subwoofer to it and if so how should I wire it and what are my options?

kind regards
Shaun

Reactions: MUSICRAFT

Gray

It doesn't look like you've got a dedicated subwoofer output on that A500 Shaun (you can check and confirm that).
If you really wanted to do it, you could choose a sub with speaker-level inputs, which would connect to the A500's speaker outputs.
This method would use a bit of the A500's output power, which is less than ideal.
With no dedicated SW output (on a rear RCA socket) I would advise you not to bother with a subwoofer.

shauncx1

Jan 8, 2021
Visit site
It doesn't look like you've got a dedicated subwoofer output on that A500 Shaun (you can check and confirm that).
If you really wanted to do it, you could choose a sub with speaker-level inputs, which would connect to the A500's speaker outputs.
This method would use a bit of the A500's output power, which is less than ideal.
With no dedicated SW output (on a rear RCA socket) I would advise you not to bother with a subwoofer.

Hi

Thankyou for your response. I appreciate it.

Best regards
Shaun

Reactions: Gray

shauncx1

Jan 8, 2021
Visit site
Hi Gary

I have another question.

I have a pair of old Tannoy Revolution R3’s. I’m on a tight budget at the moment,Max £300 for a new amp. What would you suggest?

kjnd regards Shaun

Gray

Hi Gary

I have another question.

I have a pair of old Tannoy Revolution R3’s. I’m on a tight budget at the moment,Max £300 for a new amp. What would you suggest?

kjnd regards Shaun
Your money would buy you WHF's favourite cheapie:
....which has a phono input if you've got a turntable.
You'd also have money over to buy a decent Bluetooth receiver or DAC to go with it (if you require some digital connectivity).

If you're not bothered about a turntable input, something like this might do you. In a compact little unit they pack in an analogue input, a DAC for optical, coax and USB digital inputs, Bluetooth reception, a headphone output and what should be adequate drive for your Tannoys (unless you sit miles away in a massive room).
AND Shaun, believe it or not, it's even got the proper subwoofer out that your A500 lacks!
Quite a few people are happy with these. For the price, I'm not surprised. Available in black or silver for less than half your budget (y):

Last edited:
Reactions: shauncx1

shauncx1

Jan 8, 2021
Visit site
Your money would buy you WHF's favourite cheapie:
....which has a phono input if you've got a turntable.
You'd also have money over to buy a decent Bluetooth receiver or DAC to go with it (if you require some digital connectivity).

If you're not bothered about a turntable input, something like this might do you. In a compact little unit they pack in an analogue input, a DAC for optical, coax and USB digital inputs, Bluetooth reception, a headphone output and what should be adequate drive for your Tannoys (unless you sit miles away in a massive room).
AND Shaun, believe it or not, it's even got the proper subwoofer out that your A500 lacks!
Quite a few people are happy with these. For the price, I'm not surprised. Available in black or silver for less than half your budget (y):

shauncx1

Jan 8, 2021
Visit site
Hi

I read about the Onkyo some while ago when Richersounds still did. I’ve taken my eye off the ball re hifi for some years now anc have been concentrating on music making.

I guess what I’m trying to do is update my system, without spending loads of money that I could be spending on instruments and recording gear.

At the moment the tv runs into an aux on the A500 from a 3mm output on the tv. I was thinking along about a subwoofer to get more out the tv, but I’m guessing the Onkyo is an upgrade re my 21 year old A500? Do I need a subwoofer if the sound is improved via the Onkyo and the speakers are being driven properly?

Gray

Being 21 years old doesn't mean your A500 has to sound worse than any new budget amp.

Your low bass will depend more on the ability of your speakers - and their interaction with your room, than any difference between the amps.

(Any new amp might have better quality bass, without going any deeper).

shauncx1

Jan 8, 2021
Visit site
Being 21 years old doesn't mean your A500 has to sound worse than any new budget amp.

Your low bass will depend more on the ability of your speakers - and their interaction with your room, than any difference between the amps.

(Any new amp might have better quality bass, without going any deeper).

Hi

I have now narrowed down our requirements.

Our lounge is approx 6 x 4 metres. It has 2 large openings and we set the room up for either the winter months or the summer months, involving rotating the furniture 90 degrees. Because of this we can only utilise 2 speakers and a sub.

We want to run the television into an amp (currently is at the moment via a 3mm connector to 2 inputs on the A500. Sound is ok, but not great). Sky Q box, (good for picture improvement apparently) a Blu-Ray player (same as before) and be able to stream music from iTunes. Also amazon echo if possible.

Would an av receiver such as the following be suitable?

Onkyo TX-NR696
Sony STR-DN1080

I've read that AV receivers might not be the best option for only running 2 channel stereo.

We are keeping the tannoy R3's

Hi there,

I need some advise.

I have owned a Cambridge A500 from new.

Can I add a subwoofer to it and if so how should I wire it and what are my options?

kind regards
Shaun

Use the Pre Out from the A500 and into line input/s of a subwoofer. This is how I am use Naim Audio’s Uniti Nova > JL Audio Fathom f112 v2 and Audionet’s WATT > JL Audio Gotham g213 v2 as mentioned in my signature.

Btw, IME and IMO a subwoofer is the most important component.

Hi Gary

I have another question.

kjnd regards Shaun

I know the R3's well as I used to sell them. My advice is to hold on to your amp as I think a current production amp at around £300 is likely to be a sideways step.

I would say that for a worthwhile improvement look at the used market for the discontinued Rotel RA-1062. You should be able to find a good RA-1062 between £200 - £300.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts