CAMBRIDGE 840A V2 vs RIVALS....

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
Ok Guys heres my dilemma, i am going to get an 840A V2 (already been payed for and is a replacement for a V1 i had problems with - just waiting for delivery). I am thinking of selling this amp straight away and hoping to get back around 720 for it (not bad considering its not even out yet and will include 5 year guarantee i payed for). Now the problem - I will be looking at a tight budget of around 1000 at the absolute most. Is it possible for me to buy an amp for this sort of money - that will be better than the 840 v2?

Heres what i have been looking at-

new Cyrus preVS2 (600) and buy a second hand power amp (whatever i can get in the budget - prob an 8 power)

I like the cyrus due to the upgrade path offered by them as i constantly get the "i must upgrade" itch.

Will there be a noticible difference in quality? Should i stick with the Camb?

I know i should audition however there are no cyrus dealers close to me and i dont have the time. I am willing to risk a purchace with no audition on the right equiptment.Please fire any suggestions my way.

When recomending please consider that the Amps will be powering B&W 685s which i love so will not be changing for now.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
If you can wait until March 6th, we've got a Group Test of the Cambridge Audio 840Av2 against its rivals - including the Cyrus 8VS2 and the new Naim.

However, with your speakers i'd hang on to the CA - not only is it a major step up from the V1 model, it's a step up from the @£600 amps.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
I would be interested to know what fault you had with the 840A v1. And I await the the March 6 Group Test with bated breath!. I preferred the 840A v1 in a demo compared to The new Naim Nait i. (Albeit at different dealers)

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the reply!

So the camb is a step up from other intergrated amplifiers around the same price...

However what about the pre amp - power amp combination of a cyrus say?

look forward to your review of these amplifiers as i was thinking of a intergrated cyrus, however ive been told that the pre power is far better (even if it means a second hand power amp).

As for the fault - Rest assured it was nothing serious and their customer service is fantastic and i would not hesitate buying another cambridge product. Just that in this case, i have the spare cash at the moment and can possibly upgrade.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts