Calling Pearl Lite amp owners

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Longjohn

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
Dear Rick,

My budget can extend as far as £3,000, and I am prepared to get second-hand equipment if it can offer a superlative musical eexperience. However, one great advantage of buying something new is that you get some cover from a guarantee.

Best regards again, LJ

T

the record spot

If you're looking for greater clarity, plus the additional benefit of a bigger stereo image, try out some speakers that have a concentric driver arrangement. This has the tweeter embedded in the main driver. See Tannoy DC6, Pioneer's very overlooked S71B and KEF's R100, which I personally found quite poor for the money and bettered by my DC4, but others rate it. Horses for courses, etc!

Hi John

Thanks for your reply.

Firstly i haven't mentioned here that i don't like the performance of the amplifier.

Anyway, for a worthwhile improvement alternative amplification to consider (no mid tone control/no tone controls and provided in full working order and in full origianal specification including bias levesl) is the Marantz PM94, something with some more KI TLC the PM17 KI MK1or an ATC SIA2-150 MK1.

As to speakers i would hold on to them for the time being so as to get some experience under the belt with them and the new amplifier. In due course Monitor Audio's Silver 1's, Silver 2's, GX50's, ATC's curved SCM11's and Focal JM Lab Aria 906 would be worth a look.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
DougK said:
This may attract a snigger but my whole listening experience is tailored to suit one female vocalist - Donna Summer. Of course I have other music tastes ranging from classical through opera to pop and rock, (but not heavy metal).

There's three albums that I use for evaluating speakers/systems, and if they don't sound good with those albums, I'm not interested. We all have certain albums or artists that are our very favourites, and many would rather their favourite stuff sounded good, even if a few lesser used albums don't. Nothing wrong in that.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Longjohn said:
I want to improve the sound of the system generally, and to obtain greater clarity for my listening. I am also hard of hearing and one thing I like about the Pearl Lite is the availability of tri-tone controls that would allow me to increase the amplitude of the midrange and the treble at the expense of the bass.

I'd also give the Sonus Faber Toy (standmount) or Toy Tower (floorstander). These are very detailed speakers that may mean you won't need to mess about with the treble controls. They're not bright, just very, very detailed. They're not hard to drive either, and will present a pretty easy load to any half decent amp you put with them. I've used them with all sorts, including one box Naim systems to the likes of the new upcoming Quad integrated amp, and they always sound fantastic.

emperor's new clothes

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Have had a brief demo of the pM14S1 - very impressed but OTT for my Dynaudios and wallet. Will await your verdict on the pair and another interesting newcommer - the Creek Evo 50 CD/DAC paired with the 50A. Need a USB input to warrent spending on another disc spinner. The NA8005 might be the answer.

Longjohn

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Firstly i haven't mentioned here that i don't like the performance of the amplifier.

Dear Rick,

In your first response on this thread you implied that it would be better to change the amplifier rather than the speakers, and now (if I read your sentence correctly) you say that you do not dislike the performance of the Pearl Lite.

So what do you really think? I'm confused...

Best regards,

LJ

ksoundwerx

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
In response to the OP's 1st post, I use B&W 604s with my Pearl LIte combo.

Very happy here. I do love that rich, silky, warm Marantz sound and the B&Ws work very well together.

sa2013

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Longjohn said:
MUSICRAFT said:

Dear Rick,

In your first response on this thread you implied that it would be better to change the amplifier rather than the speakers, and now (if I read your sentence correctly) you say that you do not dislike the performance of the Pearl Lite.

So what do you really think? I'm confused...

Best regards,

LJ

Hi LJ,

I think you misread Rick's post, he doesn't like the performance of the lite. I'd be curious myself to know what are the main points of criticism, just the tone controls?

On the side note, I listened to naim unity and then dav v1 / nap 100 with LS50's and they sounded thin, I much prefer my pearl lite. I also demoed roksan kandy and caspian. While I wasn't particularly impressed with kandy, I did like caspian, but it's doulbe the lite's price.

Hi John

Recommending an alternative product does not automatically mean that i dislike the original product. For example - i like the Pioneer A-400 and ATC's original Entry Series monitors however as i've said before as good as both are i would not use them together.

I've suggested alternative amplification which i feel will give a worthwhile improvement which to be clear we don't benefit from as we don't deal with used components.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

D

Deleted member 108165

Well no dealers in my area who stock everything I want to audition, or, who are prepared to let them be trialed at home. So I've had to go down the expensive route of sourcing new/used kit.

With that in mind I thought that a good place to start would be near the top of budget just so I could get the old "If onlys, and I wonder what xyz would have sounded like" out of the way first. To that end I thought that I would start with the PMC DB1 - can't get the i in black so I sourced a new pair of Gold's; they arrived yesterday.

First impressions: Out of the packaging "God these are really tiny", and connected-up, "OMG they sound really awful!" Boxy, cardboard sounding woofers, base terrible, all over the place; thinking what have I done - should have stuck with my RX2's or got a set of used Tannoys. So decided to run them out of phase and on low volume whilst I went to work yesterday, (10 hours).

Second impressions: Got up this morning and listened to them again; OMG what a difference! I have never heard such a sweet sounding pair of speakers, and I've never heard a pair of speakers seem to totally disappear from my system before, it's as though they aren't physically there. I did some A/B comparisons with the RX2's and initially thought that the RX2's sounded much better than the DB1's, that is until I walked over to the speakers and discovered I was actually listening to DB1's, not the RX2's! I keep on reaching for the volume-up control but I must consider my neighbours |(

If these babies are not yet run-in then I can only say that more is to come. I've got them backed to within 1" of the rear wall and the base is just right, very taut. I cannot believe that these tiny boxes make such an incredible sound. Looks like these will be keepers; looking for a set of wall brackets for them now :)

Thank you to everyone for your input, it has all been very much appreciated. This did not begin as a search - just a general question, but I'm sure you will understand when I say that my non-existent search is over.

Doug

They are fabulous little speakers. Not heard the 'Gold' version but have the DB1is many time at home and at dealers. Have to say, though, that an inch or so from the wall you may pick up a little bloom in the bass. Like any rear ported speaker they need some breathing space.

Enjoy!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
DougK said:
If these babies are not yet run-in then I can only say that more is to come. I've got them backed to within 1" of the rear wall and the base is just right, very taut. I cannot believe that these tiny boxes make such an incredible sound. Looks like these will be keepers; looking for a set of wall brackets for them now :)

PMC made their own wall brackets for DB1is. (There are 4 screws on the back of your speakers - just above the connectors - to fit them with.)

The brackets held the speakers about 3.5" away from the wall. (And allow them to be angled up/down and left/right too.)

The last time I heard a pair of DB1is I asked for them to be placed the same distance (about 3.5" or 9cm) from the wall and the bass was superb with no boom or 'bloom' at all.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I think it may depend on the room. I found that the only problem with having mine close to the wall was some deterioration to the soundstage, but I seem to recall John Duncan saying that his got boomy without a bit of breathing room.

Lovely speakers. I prefer them over the RX range.

D

Deleted member 108165

I have them balanced on some books at the moment but yes, been looking at those dedicated brackets. I've found a couple of websites that actually sell them at £114 and £90, (the £90 has no image so I'm dubious as to whether they are the original PMC brackets). I must admit that I had underestimated how close I had them to the wall because I have them slightly toed-in, they are actually 3", so the 3.5" with the brackets should be spot-on. I'll do a bit of experimenting with positioning before I commit them to the wall and then go with what sounds the best. Just can't get over how wonderful these sound.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
On the last occasion I heard them, they were against a painted, plastered, masonry wall - with nothing between them - and room corners about a metre away from each speaker. (Using my Partington Trophy stands on spikes.) They were tried slightly toed-in and firing straight down the room. Nait 5i amplifier and Nat05 tuner and an old Chordette Gem DAC with my laptop connected via USB and playing ALAC content.

Pulling them further away from the walls (about 18" I think) made them sound a bit anemic. Worth bearing in mind that I was not hammering the volume. I always listen at 'moderate' levels so that might account for where I preferred them positioned. Probably one of the best small speakers I have ever heard.

D

Deleted member 108165

I generally play my music at around 65 dB, on the odd occasion when the neighbours are out I'll maybe push the boat out to 80 or so :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts