Calling Pearl Lite amp owners

• Thread starter Deleted member 108165
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 108165

Gentlemen, not sure if I am getting the best out of my amp with my current speakers, (RX2's), could I ask what speakers you are using with your Pearl Lite amp? Thank you all in advance.

D

Deleted member 108165

Okay Rick, I appreciate your comments, I'm a bit new to this hifi thing :oops: .

Let me put it another way: What speakers do you gentlemen have connected to your amp? Just trying to get a feel as to what the recommendations are for this amp - what has the best synergy.

I have stuck with MA speakers, and the RX2's definitely sound better than BX5's. I know it's all about audtioning but some ideas would be helpful.

Having read comments on many sites some people say one should spend around twice the amount on speakers, while others say cheaper speakers work better :?

Longjohn

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi Rick,

Sorry, but I do not understand what you mean when you say 'it should be the opposite'.

Are you saying that the speakers are not the problem, and that one should be looking at changing the amp instead?

I have MA speakers, and am interested in either the old Pearl Lite or the new PM8005 (as and when it appears), so your replies are of interest.

Regards,

Long John

D

Deleted member 108165

Hi John

Well no reply from Rik yet. I have read many times that the best partnering for MA would be Creek, Arcam or Roksan, but as I have just bought my Pearl Lite combo I have absolutely no intention of changing this part of my equipment anytime soon as I am extremely happy with it.

Personally, I think that the MA's sound great with Marantz - had the BX5's attached to my previous PM6004/CD6004, brilliant combination! However, owing to a room reshuffle I now have to place the RX2's very close to a rear wall with port-bungs employed to control the bass. They still sound great, but they would obviously sound even better without the bungs.

Moving forward I am ideally looking for a bookshelf/standmounter that works well with Marantz and likes being placed up close and personal to a wall. I was just wondering if there was anything that would be worth an audtion, I was considering the likes of ATC SCM11, PMC DBi, etc. Until such time I will continue to enjoy my RX2's.

Reby

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Hi Doug,

I bought the KI Pearl PM/SA units along with a pair of B&W CM5's.I did that for 2 reasons - the design and esthetics of the setup - and because I found the CM5's soft rounded sound to go well with the warmth of the Marantz kit. For some, that might make it a bit too mellow, but I like the sound.

My challenge came when listening to normal CDs and FLAC from a streaming device. While I felt the SACDs were using the KI Pearls range well, I thought that normal CDs lacked punch in the low-end. I found that odd, as I know the speakers cuold deliver. Generally, I also found the EQ on the amp was messing too much with the sound, so I prefer the direct mode.

My solution was to add a PM1 sub. I finally found a reason to get one of those, which I had dreamed of for 5 years :)

Over time, I did two more things to improve the sound. I went out and got some better speaker cable and made sure it was of the same length to both speakers. I might be a bit fussy, since I am used to the phase control of my Pioneer receiver, but I think if you dont mind having some cable lying rolled up, then that helps even the sound stage.

Finally I added a power conditioner. I opted for the Isotek Solus EVO3. Oh my god what a change in sound! It seemed like the clarity of the sound expanded by a factor of 2. That was the greatest addition I have ever made.

I hope this helps you and I wish you many great hours of listening!

Hi John

I would look at alternative amplification.

What amplifier are you using please?

What speakers and source/s will you be using please.

The genre of music you listen to?

The size of your room and your general listening level?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

T

the record spot

Getting shot of a near £1000 amp, as was, in favour of keeping a pair of £250 speakers probably ain't the way to go here. Hang on to the Marantz, try out a few other models and see what you have locally. Sorry Rick, can't agree with your view here.

T

the record spot

My error, misread RX for BX! With that in mind the OP should chat to the dealer and explain the problem.

I think Marantz make great source players, their heritage in classic receivers and some amps is all very impressive but not across the board for the latter. I found their 6010KI a poor mix with Mission 752, too lightweight.

Biggest issue here isn't the components, it's the balance between them. They'll all be good in their way.

the record spot said:
Biggest issue here isn't the components, it's the balance between them. They'll all be good in their way.

Too true. I've not heard the Pearl lite but have their predecessor, PM-8003, and I found that too warm and syrupy. Apparently the RX2s are a little smoother than the RX6s, so this could be a factor. Always wise to find a dealer to have rummage with different speakers.

Longjohn

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
Dear Rick,

I listen mainly to classical music, and my current amplifier is an Arcam Solo Mini with Monitor Audio RS1 speakers. Apart from CDs, my other sources are saved music files and internet radio from a media PC running Foobar, with the output fed into an Arcam rDAC.

My listening levels are fairly moderate and I scarcely ever turn the volume up high.

So what would you recommend?

Best regards,

John

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
I bought a second hand pair of Boston Acoustic M25 speakers a few weeks ago, and I've been comparing them against my RX8's on my Marantz PM15S2/SA15S2 set.

I must say, the M25's are great speakers. Huge soundstage and very detailed, but without the sharpness of the RX8's. Great for listening hours and hours without fatigue.

D

Deleted member 108165

Gentlemen, may I thank you all for your patience and for the time and trouble you have all devoted to me in this thread. Some interesting information to take away and consider here. Guess I need to touch base with my local store and see if I can get some speakers on home trial if possible.

I was aware that the Pearl Lite was going to be more mellow than my previous amp, (PM6004), but it is definitely a better amp in every way. My main reason for partnering the PL with RX2's was the WHF review on both which said that the Pearl Lite had slightly recessed vocals and the RX2 had the opposite, so I thought they may balance each other out. Obviously though this is not a match made in heaven. I also need to consider my room acoustics too - minimal furnishings with laminate flooring and solid walls so not ideal by any means.

This may attract a snigger but my whole listening experience is tailored to suit one female vocalist - Donna Summer. Of course I have other music tastes ranging from classical through opera to pop and rock, (but not heavy metal).

Longjohn said:
Dear Rick,

I listen mainly to classical music, and my current amplifier is an Arcam Solo Mini with Monitor Audio RS1 speakers. Apart from CDs, my other sources are saved music files and internet radio from a media PC running Foobar, with the output fed into an Arcam rDAC.

My listening levels are fairly moderate and I scarcely ever turn the volume up high.

So what would you recommend?

Best regards,

John

Hi John

Thanks for your reply.

I forgot to ask -

Would you also consider used amplification?

What areas of your systems peformance are you looking to improve?

Your maximum budget?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

sa2013

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi John

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi Rick,

I've got pearl lite amp / sacd paired with kef ls50. Curious, what are the reasons why you are suggesting a different amplifier?

What are the lite's weaknesses in your opinion?

Thanks.

T

the record spot

sa2013 said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi John

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi Rick,

I've got pearl lite amp / sacd paired with kef ls50. Curious, what are the reasons why you are suggesting a different amplifier?

Thanks.

I'd personally agree with that in as much as I'd keep the amp and get shot of the speakers! The Pearl comes with a digital input didn't it? If it does you lose that connectivity too. Plus it seems that the MA range seems to split opinion. Nice looking but fussy.

Keep the amp, maybe try out the lines of Tannoy's DC6 or the Cambridge Aero Mark 2 or Acoustic Energy and their 301.

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I have a lot of time for the way the Pearl Lite amp makes music, though of course different tastes and different styles mean it won't suit everyone.. Try Tannoy speakers, and Triangle's Color floorstanders too. There are others I am sure.

Crystalarts

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to ask.. but my main post keeps dissapearing when i post the question in the forum.

so :

Question regarding Marantz Pearls (NOT THE LITES).

1. How do they compare to Naim offerings in general? and the LITES?

2. If you were to compare other amps and sacd  players, what would be a fair comparison to the Marantz?</p>

3. I am being offered the SACD and AMP together for 3500 pounds (used). Is this a good price considering they are limited edition (only 500 of each were made).?

4. Anyone tested them or own them that can give me a good idea of their performance? I have 683s being driven by a Denon 1510 at the moment.

cannibal_ox77

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I have mine paired with the older MA RS6 and I'm very happy with it. It's a great speaker given some breathing space and partnered correctly. The pearl lite has a smooth but detailed top end which tames any excessive brightness the speaker can be accused of having. Other amps might have more bass but good enough for what i listen to. WHF's review was correct about them coming close to the speed & agility of a stand mount whilst having the scale of a floorstander. At 2nd hand prices they are well worth a look, I got mine for £380 3 years ago, are still mint, and I'd probably have to spend around a grand to significantly better them.

http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/assets/files/reviews/RS6WHFGT207a.pdf

sa2013

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
the record spot said:
sa2013 said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi John

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi Rick,

Thanks.

I'd personally agree with that in as much as I'd keep the amp and get shot of the speakers! The Pearl comes with a digital input didn't it? If it does you lose that connectivity too. Plus it seems that the MA range seems to split opinion. Nice looking but fussy.

Keep the amp, maybe try out the lines of Tannoy's DC6 or the Cambridge Aero Mark 2 or Acoustic Energy and their 301.

The amp doesn't have a DAC but the CD player does

Longjohn

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
Dear Rick,

I want to improve the sound of the system generally, and to obtain greater clarity for my listening. I am also hard of hearing and one thing I like about the Pearl Lite is the availability of tri-tone controls that would allow me to increase the amplitude of the midrange and the treble at the expense of the bass.

You haven't yet told us what you don't like about the Pearl Lite, when there seem to be so many others here who do like it.

Read the following glowing review by a What HiFi reader:

http://www.whathifi.com/review/marantz-pm-ki-pearl-lite/user-reviews

I also need to improve the speakers and have always liked Monitor Audio. If you can recommend some, that would be most useful.

I've also considered upgrading to another Arcam system. I recently listened to the Creek Evo 50A with Vienna Acoustics, Epos and MA speakers with and did not like the sound as much as I expected.

Any thoughts on a suitable amp / DAC / CD / speaker combo?

Regards,

LJ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts