Calling ESP2009

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
bretty:

Hi matey

I noticed that you have a SHB power cable. I'm thinking of getting one. How have you found it?

Aaargh! That's scary! Don't do that - I was looking all over the place for the source of THAT VOICE until I spotted the post on WHF.
emotion-1.gif

All witty comments aside (including "well, I opened the jiffy bag and there it was") I found it did a nice job, but in all honesty I have swapped so much around recently, I can't give a sensible answer right now. If you hang on a while, I will do some power cable swapping and let you know. Bear with me.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
OK Bretty, here's my verdict based on listening to the first two tracks of Melody Gardot's 'My One and Only Thrill' CD.

Firstly, I reverted the current set-up to single amp and single speaker wire. Amplifier power comes straight off a surge-protected Belkin block via power cable as originally supplied, the CDP and DACMagic are on the Tacima. Initial thought was "Uh-oh". The sound was excellent across the board (based solely on my limited experience): clear, snappy highs, a warm and fullsome mid-range, and a nice underlying bassline when and where appropriate. The presence of Miss Gardot is wonderfully conveyed. So why bother pratting about with other gubbins?

Disconnect the original cable and replace it with the SHB version and let's see...well, I wouldn't say the difference was 'night and day', but there just seems to be just that little bit more of everything across the range. I was pleasantly surprised. Now, that's not to say I would trust myself to blind testing, but the SHB seems to add that extra 'something'. I guess I could describe it as more dynamic and extra presence. The breathy, lip-smacking sound of Melody's voice is even more..."gggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrowwwwwwlllll"
emotion-4.gif

I just did a couple of swaps back and forth on the same section. Yep, arguably that bit more presence and 'ooomph'.

I don't advise it for an already 'bright' system. But for that extra zip and zing I reckon its may just be worth the cash.

A

Anonymous

although I don't have this powerchord, I have dealt with SHB in the past and can say that he offers a no quible return policy (full refund) if you are not entirely happy ....

a very nice chap to do business with and very friendly .... can however say that I have never had any reason to return any of his items

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
I would also say that he advises at least 50hrs burn-in. Be prepared to wait.
emotion-1.gif

For my own part, I have had no cause to return anything...although in all honesty my recent explorations have resulted in SHB cables being removed from the current set-up. I'm still experimenting. Maybe they are just that bit too bright for my system and/or taste. But for price/performance, I believe SHB cables are bargainous.

[Edit] PS. I'm currently trying a pair of the Supra cables from Audio Friendly Co. Seemingly that bit more restrained (refined?) than SHB.

A

Anonymous

I tried one of these some weeks ago. They're well made and certainly look the part, excellent for the cash. I put mine on the AVI preamp and I can certainly hear a difference. For months I've felt that there was a slight harshness or even hardness to the sound. I thought it was simply the components and tonal balance. The SHB mains cable has really helped reduce this and makes my system sound smoother and more natural in tone. Not the result I was expecting but I'm happy. Note, I have got a mess of cables behind my kit.

I urge you to try it on the preamp (or integrated if that's what you have) before the CDP.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
igglebert:I tried one of these some weeks ago. They're well made and certainly look the part, excellent for the cash. I put mine on the AVI preamp and I can certainly hear a difference. For months I've felt that there was a slight harshness or even hardness to the sound. I thought it was simply the components and tonal balance. The SHB mains cable has really helped reduce this and makes my system sound smoother and more natural in tone. Not the result I was expecting but I'm happy. Note, I have got a mess of cables behind my kit.I urge you to try it on the preamp (or integrated if that's what you have) before the CDP.

Hi Igg,

Two positive reviews, then? Sounds good to me.

It, or rather they, would be going on the PSU's that power the Pre-amp., as I already have a Copperline Alpha on the CDP.

A

Anonymous

Would be interesting to see if the SHB gives you a more positive result than the Copperline Alpha. My gut feeling is that the ferrite core attenuators on each end are responsible for the improvement I've found as I've tried other cables without much change.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts