Calling all ST50 and GT50 owners

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 2457

Just been checking out the Panasonic ST 50 50 inch again, no signs of dirty screen effect. When is your demo again Strapped?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
FarNorth said:
strapped for cash said:
The other option is to wait and hope the 55VT50 drops in price a little more. I could pounce just before next year's televisions are brought to market and grab a high end television with an integral Freesat tuner for a great price.

Might be a risky strategy, though. I've got lots to do in the next few weeks and, while I probably won't have time to audition and buy a television, I can consider my options further. My main concern is the vertical stripe (or dirty screen) issue, though some of the posts above helped reassure me.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions all...

Hi Strapped for Cash. I've been around a while but not posted anything to speak of, however purchased the ST50 back in May so I'll add my three pennorth to the thread. I was originally hanging on hoping to get one of last years sets on the cheap but left it to late and missed the boat so, having read as many reviews as I could find, plumped for the ST50 as being the best I could afford. £1150 from Co-Op electrical on line at the time. I am not in position to audition AV kit where I live, its a 2 hour drive on a good day with a following wind to get to the nearest Currys/PC World let alone a decent HiFi retailer hence reliance on reviews. It has no built in freesat but that was a nice to rather than a must have from my perspective and I didn't bother with lashing out another £200+ on 3D specs; maybe later.

Right to cut the waffle am I happy with it, you bet, its brilliant, no green lines/blobs, no buzzing, excellent colour. Now bear in mind I was upgrading from a venerable 32" Panny CRT I may have come from a low starting point and my intial reaction was b***** hell that's big! However that reaction wore of remarkably quickly, admittedly we had to rearrange the lounge but it was definitely worth it. What surprised me was just how good the picture was with off air broadcasts something I had been slightly concerned about. SD is fine and HD is brilliant as are DVDs. I don't own a blu-ray player as yet, that's next on the list so I can't comment on its abilities in that field but I can only imagine it will be outstanding given it's other talents. I use the true cinema setting all the time and have not as yet felt the need to do any further tweeking. If you are after a plasma in my book you cannot go wrong with this one.

Hi FarNorth. Thanks for the input. It's good to know that the True Cinema preset does the job. In my view, a Blu-ray player is a must if you own a decent plasma TV. HD TV broadcasts look excellent, but you'll notice the a step up in picture quality with 1080p from a decent source, especially if you have a larger screen. As others have asked, what size did you go for?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
Just been checking out the Panasonic ST 50 50 inch again, no signs of dirty screen effect. When is your demo again Strapped?

Hi Gel.

It's one of those things I keep meaning to get around to, but haven't found the time.

I've been really busy the last couple of weeks with work, though I enjoyed a nice break watching Fed vs. Djoker at the O2. Awesome, though I was gutted we didn't get a deciding set. The standard of play and shotmaking in the first set was up there with best I've ever seen, especially Roger's impossible whipped forehand pass at 5-6 in the tie break. I know he looks graceful on TV, but I was mesmerised by the artistry of Federer's game. I can now say I got to see the greatest of all time (arguably) contest the final of a major tournament. I know he lost, but it was a privilege to watch.

Anyway, I'm dragging the thread in another direction. At some point soon, I'll get around to auditioning the ST, GT, and VT... though I may wait a while before buying, as per discussion on another thread.

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
gel said:

Hi Gel.

It's one of those things I keep meaning to get around to, but haven't found the time.

I've been really busy the last couple of weeks with work, though I enjoyed a nice break watching Fed vs. Djoker at the O2. Awesome, though I was gutted we didn't get a deciding set. The standard of play and shotmaking in the first set was up there with best I've ever seen, especially Roger's impossible whipped forehand pass at 5-6 in the tie break. I know he looks graceful on TV, but I was mesmerised by the artistry of Federer's game. I can now say I got to see the greatest of all time (arguably) contest the final of a major tournament. I know he lost, but it was a privilege to watch.

Anyway, I'm dragging the thread in another direction. At some point soon, I'll get around to auditioning the ST, GT, and VT... though I may wait a while before buying, as per discussion on another thread.

Ah okay, prices should keep coming down then. The Panasonic 50ST50 was £999 today in Currys. Good to hear the tennis was good.
smiley-smile.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts