Call yourself an audiophile?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
How the equipment sounds is obviously the main reason you buy a bit of kit, but what about having the looks to impress the 'acquaintances' visiting your luxury apartment? Take the brash Mordaunt Short Genie speaker or a refined Rotel pre-amp, does appearance really sway your judgement in the shop? Please take a moment to help me with my dissertation on the importance of styling in high-end audio equipment by telling me what amp(s) and speakers you have and how important you think their appearance was when you bought them. It doesn't have to be an essay, it can just be a rating out of 10 with 10 being 'appearance was of the upmost importance'. If you did choose some equipment because you thought it's looks were important, it would be great if you could just say why they appealed to you, eg. 'it matched the stuff I already own'. Many thanks.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Amp/CD etc? 0/10 - all my kit is hidden in a rack behind the lounge door.
Speakers - 3/10 - sound is by far more important, but I'd never get cheap and tacky looking (not necessarily cheap cost-wise) speakers past her that must be obeyed, as by nature they have to be on view...

Also, I prefer to be called an audioholic...
emotion-5.gif

John Duncan

It's never of *utmost* importance. But there are pieces of equipment I wouldn't buy because they're ugly, and others I'd buy over something that sounds (marginally) better because it's pretty, does that count?

A

Anonymous

Funny you should mention the importance of style......I was just thinking about that this morning while listening to my Primare kit. After Clare had mentioned about the Leema in another thread.........it made me think how important the look of a component is........even if I had auditioned the Leema I would never have bought it because I'm not keen on its appearance, unless it blew the Primare away, in which case I would look for something else that sounded as good but looked better! Not a true audiophile response I guess, maybe I should get my coat now.......but I live in a city centre apartment, have spent lots of time and money trying to get the furnishing right........and wouldn't want to let that down with dodgy looking separates!..........style and sound quality.......that's why I went for Primare ;)

A

Anonymous

I think its fair to assume that after purchasing the Onkyo 875, I am firmly in the camp of those who rate performance over looks ............as it is one ugly bit of kit!

However, I did in the end opt to accompany it with the KEF3005SE speaker package!

I know there are better options out there acoustically for similar money, but they were the best quality available from the selection of what the 'better half' thought would be acceptable to be on show in our living room! ha-ha!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I had my AV rack made in solid walnut to match my walnut RS6s! I bought two granite boards to raise my stereo amp to the level of my AV receiver (it's next door neighbour). One of the reasons I first looked at Creek equipment was the look but I would not buy something that looked good and was rubbish. It might swing it when the components are very similar in quality. Like what Sam said and John and his knobs(!), I would buy Primare all day long if I could run it by the missus and my bank!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="taxiboy"]At the risk of sounding even more stupid than usual, WTF is that?[/quote]

Think Richard the third.............

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Most hifi and assorted leads and accessories looks pretty ugly. That's why people buy mini systems because they value looks over substance. I prefer the latter although I agree getting the WAF is another matter entirely.

John Duncan

[quote user="bluetorric"]
[quote user="taxiboy"]At the risk of sounding even more stupid than usual, WTF is that?[/quote]

Think Richard the third.............
[/quote]

It was a Douglas in my day (as in Hurd). Along with a Desmond (Tutu) and Patty (Hirst). We couldn't think of anything to rhyme with 2:1. Hey, we were mathematicians.

A

Anonymous

Thanks to the positive contributions so far. Not sure what the debate over degree grades was all about though?!?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]And so, the day draws on, and another thread wends its way towards the 'lock' button[/quote]

Bit trigger-finger-happy lately Mr.E? What is it with this censorship? Surely everybody is big enough to reach for the 'off' button themselves if the psychological pressure becomes to much
emotion-7.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="drummerman"]Bit trigger-finger-happy lately Mr.E? What is it with this censorship?[/quote]

Censorship? Nope. Bored of pointless name-calling and insults? Yup.

Locked.

TRENDING THREADS