Cables

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
the record spot said:
steve_1979 said:
Expensive audiophile cables are an unnecessary waste of money and they will not offer any audiable improvement over standard OFC speaker cables.

That would be in your opinion Steve. The choices you make as a consumer and the reasons for your making them work for you. What someone else wants to spend their money on may consequently not result in the same product, for whatever reason that is, defaulting to being a waste of money for them. So the "unnecessary waste of money" for you might be a worthwhile investment for someone else. And I'm not referring to audio issues here but whatever reasons someone might have for buying an expensive audio product.

That same person could say of your preaching here, that it's an unnecessary waste of time too. They wouldn't have your perpsective or share your values for doing so though. Same difference.

This is all true, IMO. However, people spend more than some argue is needed either because they can hear a difference, think they can hear a difference or because there maybe a difference so buy as an insurance policy. No one wants to be fooled by an earnest manufacturer anymore than by an out & out crook.

Lets assume someone devised a test that could prove conclusively to 99% of listeners that cable differences were too close to call. Would you still continue to pay far more than was necessary? I don't think such a test is possible unfortunately but that's a another subject all on its own.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
the record spot said:
Did you read my post or just miss the point on purpose?

I fully appreciate that people have the freedom to spend their money on whatever they want and for whatever reason they want.

But that still doesn't change the fact that expensive audiophile cables will not offer any audiable improvement over standard OFC speaker cables.

T

the record spot

busb said:
Lets assume someone devised a test that could prove conclusively to 99% of listeners that cable differences were too close to call. Would you still continue to pay far more than was necessary? I don't think such a test is possible unfortunately but that's a another subject all on its own.

Le Creuset make expensive pans. John Lewis do ones that are half the price. Tesco will do ones that are a third. They all cook the same, the food tastes the same, so Le Creuset should be out of business right? Who'd pay £120 for a casserole pot?

Well...

http://www.seriouseats.com/talk/2009/02/le-creuset-is-it-worth-it.html

T

the record spot

steve_1979 said:
I fully appreciate that people have the freedom to spend their money on whatever they want and for whatever reason they want.

But that still doesn't change the fact that expensive audiophile cables will not offer any audiable improvement over standard OFC speaker cables.

Yes, Steve, I understand, this I know. Did you though?

Um

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
the record spot said:
busb said:

Le Creuset make expensive pans. John Lewis do ones that are half the price. Tesco will do ones that are a third. They all cook the same, the food tastes the same, so Le Creuset should be out of business right? Who'd pay £120 for a casserole pot?

Well...

all cook the same...... ;)yeah right :)

T

the record spot

Louis Vuitton bags then? Surely all you need is a Tesco carrier bag?

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
the record spot said:

scientifically speaking you only need a tesco carrier bag to carry something. The louis vitton bag won't carry the items any better, it will however look at lot better and may give the user a more placebic sense of importance ;) :grin:

TrevC

the record spot said:
busb said:

Well...

Le Creuset don't sell Tesco pans in fancy dress. That's the difference. Anyway we have a Le Creuset saucepan and my wife won't use it because it's too heavy!

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
the record spot said:

The difference is neither the manufacturer nor the purchaser will claim that the expensive bag carries stuff better than the cheap bag. (Having said that, I'd expect the LV bag to carry a heavier weight and be more durable than a carrier bag, but you get the point.)

T

the record spot

TrevC said:
the record spot said:

Well...

Le Creuset don't sell Tesco pans in fancy dress. That's the difference. Anyway we have a Le Creuset saucepan and my wife won't use it because it's too heavy!

I didn't say they did. They do the same job, why would somebody buy the former over the latter? And I sympathise - the frying pan weighed a ton too!

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
We have some Le Creuset casseroles that are twenty years old and are still in excellent condition. Although we did not pay full price (I try never to pay full price) I am sure we could have bought cheaper, but Le Creuset have built a justifiable reputation for quality and I am prepared to pay a premium for that.

MakkaPakka

May 25, 2013
Visit site
You chose a bad example.

Le Creuset pans are not the same as the cheap offerings from elsewhere - you can tell that just from picking one up. Le Creuset are thinner (therefore lighter) which affects how they cook. The enamel is also much better quality and more resistant to chipping.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
MakkaPakka said:
You chose a bad example.

Le Creuset pans are not the same as the cheap offerings from elsewhere - you can tell that just from picking one up. Le Creuset are thinner (therefore lighter) which affects how they cook. The enamel is also much better quality and more resistant to chipping.

Exactly. You pay for what you get, and Le Creuset are about the top. Well worth the extra money, they'll outlast you and several generations of descendants.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Exactly. You pay for what you get, and Le Creuset are about the top. Well worth the extra money, they'll outlast you and several generations of descendants.

My cables are already listed in my will. :shifty:

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
they'll outlast you and several generations of descendants.

Not if you drop one onto a quarry tile floor they wont. Or place a red hot sucker onto something stone cold :p.

They are a bassa to plumb into speaker terminals anaw.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Covenanter said:
John Duncan said:
steve_1979 said:
Doubt those who want to make money be selling you unnecessarily overpriced cables.

Which you have no doubt about (QED)

You are part of the industry John so maybe you are not entirely unbiased in this matter?
smiley-cool.gif

Chris

If you hate the industry and WHF so much why do you continue to post here? Your innuendos are becoming boring.

I don't hate the industry or WHF. It isn't innuendo either! With innuendo you imply something whereas I have clearly stated that you shouldn't believe anybody in the industry is unbiased.

Chris

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts