Cables

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

John Duncan

Yes, understood, but some are 11p a metre and some are £6 a metre, I'm just wondering which one of these standard OFC cables I should be buying.

This is a more appropriate list btw:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/cables-wires/audio-video-cable/multicore-speaker-cable/?page-offset=60&sort-by=P_breakPrice1&sort-order=asc&view-type=List&sort-option=Price

A

Anonymous

John Duncan said:
Yes, understood, but some are 11p a metre and some are £6 a metre, I'm just wondering which one of these standard OFC cables I should be buying.

This is a more appropriate list btw:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/cables-wires/audio-video-cable/multicore-speaker-cable/?page-offset=60&sort-by=P_breakPrice1&sort-order=asc&view-type=List&sort-option=Price

The cheapest

A

Anonymous

John Duncan said:
Ah but what are the capacitance and inductance of that 11p a metre stuff, hm? What if I want to run 20m of it in parallel with my mains?
#

If you want to run 20m go to 4mm or 6mm

T

the record spot

steve_1979 said:
Expensive audiophile cables will still not offer any audiable improvement over standard OFC speaker cables though.

Whatever. Did you read my post or just miss the point on purpose?

Consumer choices are beyond what you do or don't think is a valid reason for buying the item you or Max are railing against. And we could probvably give said consumers some credit for not being of the same exalted level of "the informed" but still smart enough to come to a reasoned conclusion about where they spend their money.

I don't give the whole cable thing much time - learnt my lesson back in 2006 and my cables are a mix of prices now from a £3 Fisual coax to Atlas Navigators - but why people buy something isn't ecessarily the straight correlation you make it out to be.

T

the record spot

John Duncan said:
chebby said:
(£74.70 for 25 metres)

That's dearer than some QED. Foo! Foo!

Tell me about it JD. I got well done in Maplins the other day. Got some cable for biamping the Tannoys (the ones that wind Max up 'cos they do bass), but six metres of Van Damme stuff cost me about £24. Like totes ripped off.

A

Anonymous

the record spot said:
John Duncan said:
chebby said:
(£74.70 for 25 metres)

That's dearer than some QED. Foo! Foo!

Tell me about it JD. I got well done in Maplins the other day. Got some cable for biamping the Tannoys (the ones that wind Max up 'cos they do bass), but six metres of Van Damme stuff cost me about £24. Like totes ripped off.

To be honest I wouldn't use RS or Maplins very overpriced, but RS was the first non HiFi

name that came into my head, and it was tongue in cheek.

You have to love threads on cable don't yah

A

Anonymous

John Duncan said:
andybeau said:
John Duncan said:
Ah but what are the capacitance and inductance of that 11p a metre stuff, hm? What if I want to run 20m of it in parallel with my mains?
#

If you want to run 20m go to 4mm or 6mm

There's a formula is there? So all cables are not the same?

There are formulas yes but it was being said of comparing cables of same csa.

You asked about a 20m run and that cable on RS was not good for that length.

Longer run larger CSA or more currant larger CSA don't care about brand and nor do the formulas

T

the record spot

andybeau said:
To be honest I wouldn't use RS or Maplins very overpriced, but RS was the first non HiFi

I could've bought easily off Amazon, or gone to the Digitalis Direct store online, but I wanted the stuff there and then, Maplins was fairly close and I wouldn't have to wait for a few days for the stuff to turn up (as often happens especially with Amazon). It was worth the extra £15 for that alone.

A

Anonymous

the record spot said:
andybeau said:

I could've bought easily off Amazon, or gone to the Digitalis Direct store online, but I wanted the stuff there and then, Maplins was fairly close and I wouldn't have to wait for a few days for the stuff to turn up (as often happens especially with Amazon). It was worth the extra £15 for that alone.

Agree if you need it you pay the price

T

the record spot

...and it was cheaper than Audio Note's SOOTO cable...(Google it)!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts