Cables

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
John Duncan said:
steve_1979 said:
Doubt those who want to make money be selling you unnecessarily overpriced cables.

Which you have no doubt about (QED)

You are part of the industry John so maybe you are not entirely unbiased in this matter?
smiley-cool.gif

Chris

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Covenanter said:
John Duncan said:
steve_1979 said:
Doubt those who want to make money be selling you unnecessarily overpriced cables.

You are part of the industry John so maybe you are not entirely unbiased in this matter?
smiley-cool.gif

Chris

Being a forum moderator isn't what I would call being 'part of the industry'. Even when he worked for Haymarket it was in an IT role.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Covenanter said:
John Duncan said:
steve_1979 said:

smiley-cool.gif

Chris

If you hate the industry and WHF so much why do you continue to post here? Your innuendos are becoming boring.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
TrevC said:
You have some unusual reasoning there. :)

Well we've been told we can't trust anything from people who want to sell us something. (So nothing from any hi-fi manufacturers or shops.)

We've also been told we can only trust scientists. (So long as they aren't trying to sell us something obviously.)

So it follows that only hi-fi that is given away by scientists is acceptable.

char_lotte

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I suspect a proper scientist in this case will be allowed to be substituted with a clever person who understands science... I have to add that I am disappointed that the tertiary qualified seem to have fallen by the wayside in favour of the science.

abacus

Posted by Chebby

“Well we've been told we can't trust anything from people who want to sell us something.”

This has been the case for centuries, so I fail to see the point here.

“We've also been told we can only trust scientists.”

The only way to compare items accurately is to take out all the variables, and as the scientific approach is designed to achieve just this, it would be foolish not take advantage of it.

Bill

John Duncan

TrevC said:
chebby said:
steve_1979 said:
Believe those who understand the science involved and are not trying to sell you anything.

So I should only trust hi-fi that has been given to me by a scientist?

You have some unusual reasoning there. :)

The true logical negation should be "Do not believe those who do not understand the science involved or who are trying to sell you something".

So any non-scientist who ALSO has something to sell is doubly untrustworthy.

John Duncan

char_lotte said:
I suspect a proper scientist in this case will be allowed to be substituted with a clever person who understands science... I have to add that I am disappointed that the tertiary qualified seem to have fallen by the wayside in favour of the science.

OK, but how will we know, if they're not tertiary-qualified? Maybe they just read something on the internet or - worse - were told something by a non-scientist who has something to sell.

John Duncan

char_lotte said:

Further, I don't think there was any requirement for a proper scientist, only someone who understands the science*, and they don't have to be clever - after all, this is GCSE-level stuff, and God knows standards have gone downhill since my day.

*self-certification

T

the record spot

steve_1979 said:
Expensive audiophile cables are an unnecessary waste of money and they will not offer any audiable improvement over standard OFC speaker cables.

That would be in your opinion Steve. The choices you make as a consumer and the reasons for your making them work for you. What someone else wants to spend their money on may consequently not result in the same product, for whatever reason that is, defaulting to being a waste of money for them. So the "unnecessary waste of money" for you might be a worthwhile investment for someone else. And I'm not referring to audio issues here but whatever reasons someone might have for buying an expensive audio product.

That same person could say of your preaching here, that it's an unnecessary waste of time too. They wouldn't have your perpsective or share your values for doing so though. Same difference.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
the record spot said:
steve_1979 said:
Expensive audiophile cables are an unnecessary waste of money and they will not offer any audiable improvement over standard OFC speaker cables.

That would be in your opinion Steve. The choices you make as a consumer and the reasons for your making them work for you. What someone else wants to spend their money on may consequently not result in the same product, for whatever reason that is, defaulting to being a waste of money for them. So the "unnecessary waste of money" for you might be a worthwhile investment for someone else. And I'm not referring to audio issues here but whatever reasons someone might have for buying an expensive audio product.

That same person could say of your preaching here, that it's an unnecessary waste of time too. They wouldn't have your perpsective or share your values for doing so though. Same difference.

Expensive audiophile cables will still not offer any audiable improvement over standard OFC speaker cables though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts