Cables for Sony Setup

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all. New to the forum (so please be patient!)

I have bought some new gear but although I have looked at the seperate instructions I am not sure how to link it all up and consequently which cables to buy.

I have:

Sony KDL40W2000 LCD Full HD. Sony STR-DA1200ES Receiver. Sony RDR-HXD860 DVD Recorder.

KEF 2005.2 Speakers 5.1. Virgin V+ HD box.

I have also read that you need a cable for the on-screen menu from the receiver.

I would like to buy cables that work well with this particular setup.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Regards

Roy

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
HDMI cables from recorder and V+ boxes to receiver for picture, HDMI from receiver to TV.

Digital audio cables from recorder and V+ to receiver, plus a digital audio from TV to receiver if you want to listen to TV sound independently of the recorder.

And yes, you need an S-video or composite connection to show the menus on the TV screen

Standard speaker cables from receiver to all five small KEF speakers, long interconnect to the subwoofer.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that information Andrew.

How do these cables sound? Would they suit my setup?

QED Qunex HDMI-P

Digital Audio - IXOS XHD-608-100

Subwoofer Interconnect - Qunex P-SW

Speakers - QED Silver Anniversary XT

I have been recommended QED Micro speaker cable, would I get the same result?

Also, (sorry for questions) could I run the DVD and V+ boxes directly to the TV HDMI ports rather than go via the receiver?

The above cables add up to a fair bit of cash. Could I vary them to get a similar result or stick with that list?

Thanks for your help

Regards
Roy

A

Anonymous

Hello Roy

Did you get a solution. I have just purchased a very similar setup to yours and am completely puzzled about the cables. Can you tell me how you got on and what cables you used. I have HD LCD TV, Sony Receiver 5200, Sony DVD recorder and KEF 2005.2.

I only now realise I have to purchase cable for the speakers as I am completely new to this. Any advice welcome. Does the hdmi cable from receiver to TV cover sound and image?

Frank

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
If you connect your dvd and V+ boxes straight to your tv, you will not get surround sound through the amp. You need, as Andrew said, to connect the boxes to your amp and it will give you surround sound to both dvd and V+.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
And you could vary a lot. There are lots of options when it comes to hdmi and optical, coaxial cables. All dependent on how long you need your cables too. The shorter, the cheaper in each range. Any hdmi cable around £20 will be decent enough and you can get cheaper still the audio cables.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts