Cable vs Stream loudness

playback

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
Hi

Can anyonne give me an insight into why the volume through my Arcam rBlink is considerably louder than through my QED performance J2P cable. Im curious to understand why, also im not sure if this post is in the correct section.

Cheers

A

Anderson

Can you expand a bit. What does your system consist of and how is it all linked.

You've got a wireless DAC but presumably its connected yo an amp via RCA leads a la your QED cable?

playback

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
Hi

My amp is Arcam A19 and cable is QED XT40 supplying a pair of B&W CM8's and rBlink is connected via Atlas Element Integra interconnects. Basically if I stream from phone or computer to the rBlink the volume is considerably louder than using a QED performance jack to phono lead with the 3.5mm jack. Both the integras and QEDs are plugged into analogues at the back of the amp.

Does this make sense?

A

Anderson

Got you now.

So Phone > Wireless > rBlink > RCA > Amp = Loud

Phone > 3.5mm jack to RCA > Amp = Not loud

I am not an expert but to me this would suggest that the output stage (headphone socket) of your phone isn't capable of providing enough voltage to drive your amp. Either that or the output stage on the rBlink is putting out slightly more than it should.

To me this has nothing to do with cables used, its about the devices on the end of them. I'm rubbish at explaining stuff so someone else will probably spell this out in simpler terms. If you have a question fire away and I'll try and elaborate.

playback

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
Yes i think you could be right. I plug into my iphone 5 and sony VAIO ultrabook and get the same lack of volume for both, even when the VAIO is plugged into the mains. The sound quality seems pretty much the same ( streaming from spotify premium).

A

Anderson

Looking at the specs for the rBlink, its outputting 2.15Vrms presumably this is for both channels combined. I can't find anything concrete on the iPhone 5 output, I'm found a couple of sources which quote 1.01Vrms but it's not clear if this is for one channel or 2. Either way the output on the iPhone is less than what the rBlink puts out.

Another think to consider, when you have your phone connected to the amp via cable do you have the volume on the phone turned up?

playback

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
From my phone yes. The only time i turn turn the volume down is when using itunes on my computer. I generally reduce by 20% and use the amp volume control to my desired level.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts