Question Cable technology advancements?

justinjured

Jun 2, 2020
Visit site
Just purchased a new amp and wondered if it is worth upgrading my old RCA cables. I currently have Chord Cobra 2's which must be about 15 years old, but remember them being pretty pricey. Has there been much of a change in technology to warrant me upgrading? They would be providing the link to my CD player.

Thanks

D

Deleted member 188516

Just purchased a new amp and wondered if it is worth upgrading my old RCA cables. I currently have Chord Cobra 2's which must be about 15 years old, but remember them being pretty pricey. Has there been much of a change in technology to warrant me upgrading? They would be providing the link to my CD player.

Thanks

may i ask what cd player and amplifier you are using ?

chord cobra 2 similar (very similar...) i guess to the cobraplus cable ?

here is what what hifi think :-

justinjured

Jun 2, 2020
Visit site
Arcam CD73T and just ordered Cambridge Audio CXA61 amp. Depending on how the CD player gets on with the amp might upgrade that as well! Like the look of the CA CXC CD transport - and a great price at the moment.

record_spot

I dumped boutique cables years ago. Went from £200+ Atlas Navigators and Chord Chorus to Fisual Havana and Havana XLs instead. Yours for about £35, hand made, and as good as anything I ever had before.

abacus

If the cables are faulty then go to a pro music store and get the cables used in pro film & music production studios, (They produce the music you listen too) as they cost very little and put the overpriced , overhyped & ridicules cable made by Hi-Fi cable manufactures to shame.

If they are not faulty then stick with them and spend the cash on something else.

Bill

D

Deleted member 188516

I dumped boutique cables years ago. Went from £200+ Atlas Navigators and Chord Chorus to Fisual Havana and Havana XLs instead. Yours for about £35, hand made, and as good as anything I ever had before.

hi record spot, i believe you now use avi actives and a cd player in your current system.

may i ask which cables / connection method do you use to connect your cd player to the avi's ?

had a demo of the dm10's and were impressed.

D

Deleted member 188516

i'd choose
Arcam CD73T and just ordered Cambridge Audio CXA61 amp. Depending on how the CD player gets on with the amp might upgrade that as well! Like the look of the CA CXC CD transport - and a great price at the moment.

i'd choose that option rather than change cables then. if you had 250k worth of cd player and amplifier(s) though...
the transport you mention only has digital outputs hence you would need a digital cable - the cobra cable would be redundant.

record_spot

hi record spot, i believe you now use avi actives and a cd player in your current system.

may i ask which cables / connection method do you use to connect your cd player to the avi's ?

had a demo of the dm10's and were impressed.

Hi, Fisual Havana to a Tisbury passive preamp, then Fisual Rio's to the AVIs. Haven't got round to updating the latter yet.

Everything goes through the Tisbury passive preamp, thereafter it to the line in on the actives. The TV goes directly into the AVI optical input though.

Last edited:
If you’re curious, your local Richer Sounds might lend you a couple of cable sets to play with.
The transport does look great value I agree.

D

Deleted member 188516

Hi, Fisual Havana to a Tisbury passive preamp, then Fisual Rio's to the AVIs. Haven't got round to updating the latter yet.

Everything goes through the Tisbury passive preamp, thereafter it to the line in on the actives. The TV goes directly into the AVI optical input though.

thanks for the reply.

the fisual rio looks very similar to the qed qunex 1 cables i had 20 years ago.
(i wonder if its the same cable ?).

Gray

If the cables are faulty then go to a pro music store and get the cables used in pro film & music production studios, (They produce the music you listen too) as they cost very little and put the overpriced , overhyped & ridicules cable made by Hi-Fi cable manufactures to shame.

If they are not faulty then stick with them and spend the cash on something else.

Bill
I reckon you've found a good music shop Bill (or you run one).
I agree that their non-fancy cables would be as good in terms of sound and likely even more durable.
But on price, I wouldn't choose a music shop for such cables.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts