Cable Confusion ~

A

Anonymous

I don't mean to sound rude, but that is a personal choice you need to make. I could say the Chord, someone else may reccomend the Kimble, so you wont be any wiser. My humble suggestion, do some research.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
The Kimber and the Chord are both less bright than the QED Silver Anniversary.

What sort of files are you playing? It appears that most of your kit tends towards brightness so go for copper cable. Have ayou got a DAC?

vinod_david

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
Good to know both on warm side, so it's a worthy upgrade from my SA XT then.

No files, no DAC, only CD. So, between Chord and Kimber, can you pick THE cable to bring more warmth. tx.

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
vinod_david:All: Which cable will suit my setup - Chord Odyssey 2 or Kimber 4PR ?

Hi,

The chord is a lot more expensive I think about 18-20 pounds per metre whereas the Kimber 4pr would be I suppose 5. The 4pr is the bottom of the kimber line whereas the chord would probably mid line of their cables, so I would suggest at 4 x the price it would be better. I have kimber 4tc and 8tc excellent cable with a nice mid warmth, i have also used 4vs. I found chord good (speaker leads and interconnects) but found the kimber speaker cable a tad more warmer and natural sounding.

Kimber 4pr would not be as clean or detailed as the chord odyssey I would suspect - I havent compared them side by side, I would prefer kimber 4tc ( 2 ranges up above the 4pr) over chord odyssey though. One cable is quite warm is the supra ply 3.4 which is quite cheap compared to some of the others

Hope that helps

Cheers

Steve.

vinod_david

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
Steve:

My amp + cdp + speakers are on the brighter side. So, is it safe to say that the warm, natural sounding, and cheap, 4PR, will fit in nicely for an ejoyable listen?

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I can't guarantee that - if you can try before you buy that would be good. Some shops will let you have a lend of leads before buying. Maybe your components and speakers arnt very well matched, or your room ecoustics need some adjustments. Certainly leads can make some difference but speakers and components make the most.

Cheers

Steve.

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

This might sound a bit of a contradiction to what I said earlier about cables making a significant difference- but they do make some difference for eg I use to use QED interconnects and speaker cables and found it a bit forward and bright and lacked some bass. I moved to Kimber which made the sound more musical, tonally balanced with warmth, less foward with added depth and detail to the soundstage. This was a move from QED silver, and Quenex 1 & 2 interconnects to Kimber 8tc, kimber pbj about 8-10 year ago.

I also moved from a carpeted heavy furnishings house into a unit which had solid walls and wooden floor boards - this made the sound a bit bright and hard so we put down a large mat in front of the speakers, heavy curtains, and added furnishings which help get rid of some of the upper mid forwardness and hardness. I now use a mixture of Kimber, chord, siltech but also use, eichmann and nordost as I have two systems + surround unit.

Cheers

Steve

vinod_david

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
Steve:

Yes, that's the kind of reply and comparison I was expecting from Kimber + QED users. Actually, I'm from different part of the world that doesn't have Chord and Kimber brands, forget dealers lending cables. I trust what*hifi and it's forum members like you for making informed decisions and order cables from online UK sites.

I currently use QED SA XT and Qunex 2.

Thanks for all those replies.

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
vinod_david:Steve: Yes, that's the kind of reply and comparison I was expecting from Kimber + QED users. Actually, I'm from different part of the world that doesn't have Chord and Kimber brands, forget dealers lending cables. I trust what*hifi and it's forum members like you for making informed decisions and order cables from online UK sites. I currently use QED SA XT and Qunex 2. Thanks for all those replies.

Hi,

What part of the world - I'm from Australia.
emotion-1.gif

I found the Qunex 2 a reasonably cable except it had a fairly forward upper mids and the top end wasnt very smooth which i found fatigueing after awhile. A much more balanced cable is the budget chord crimson, its quite smooth and warm in the mids and balanced tonally. Ebay you could get the kimber pbj not quite as smooth but a bit more detailed.

I found even the basic chord carnival silverscreen speaker cable is better than the QED silver - smoother overall with a fuller bottom end. I tried both on my little valve hybrid recently, the chord was better easily.

Cheers

Steve.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts