C326BEE VS Marantz 6004

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

iaudio87 said:
I can't do a home demo of the Cambrige or the Yamaha. I am not planning to buy something without a home demo. The nad did nothng wrong (perhaps a few recordings that sound a bit harsh). But i didn't move me either. so the way i see it: Take the plundge on the Marantz 7004 or buy the NAD C326bee

See, to me, that's all wrong!

Dont jump at an amp, demo more!!!

The NAD is ok but can be bettered so listen to the likes of the C356BEE (more power, able to drive tough speakers easier (ie your Dyns) and then decide from there if the NAD sound is or you...

Also, don't jump at the Marantz either, for me the Marantz 6 & 7 series of amps don't have the guts to drive the Dyns to their best!

Have you seriously considered changing your speakers to maybe the likes of the M/A RX1's or 2's or even maybe the Rega RS3's etc...?

A

Anonymous

I know the nad has a power amp function. Is it a good idea to buy the nad and save for a nice preamp? never thought of changing my speakers tough

matthewpiano

Even if you buy the NAD and save for a pre-amp, you'll still be using the power amp section of a budget amp and you'll gain very little IMO. You'll get better results by going for a better integrated in the first place.

A

Anonymous

i can demo: Rotel,Arcam,Marantz, Denon and NAD at home. Apperantly i cannot make the right choice regarding intregraded amps. So you guys may choose an amp from the above list and then i will demo the amp.

matthewpiano

Forget Arcam. Their entry-level A18 amp is weedy and won't grip your speakers.

My advice would be to audition the NAD C356BEE. It's a big step up from the C326BEE and will give you the right balance of power, current delivery and quality to drive your Dyns. You'll get a more controlled sound than from the C326BEE and more of a feeling of effortless power.

If you want to audition another amp out of those brands then Rotel would be the next option. They drive B&Ws well (another tricky load) so should be able to deliver what the Dyns need. Even so, I'd suggest the RA-06SE rather than the RA-04SE.

It really is worth making that slight step up here, even if it takes slightly longer. Otherwise, to be satisfied, you may have to consider some less demanding speakers such as the Monitor Audios suggested by hifilover.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
Matthewpiano,

you're saying the C356 is much better than the C326 ? In what ways ? I always thought it would give me the same sound but with more power.

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano said:
iaudio87 said:
What about the Ra1520

Now you are talking. Well worth a try. Bearing in mind your comments earlier about brightness I would still highly recommend trying the NAD C356BEE though.

Yeah good call on the Rotel RA1520. Superb amp but as MP said; it needs to be demod along side the ND C356BEE ideally for you to get a more fuller overview of what these two very good integrated amps can do with your Dyns!

A

Anonymous

Cypher said:
Matthewpiano,

you're saying the C356 is much better than the C326 ? In what ways ? I always thought it would give me the same sound but with more power.

Hope MP doesn't mind me cutting in here...

The C356BEE has a more detailed and fuller soundstage and isn't as bass dependent as the C326BEE... The bigger NAD just has more power in reserves so it's able to offer a more dynamic and precise sound in comparison to its smaller sibling. You'll stil get that NAD sound but with buckets of power in reserve meaning its a level playing field across the soundstage (ie superb bass depth and punch but not wooly or muddled & with a smooth and precise midrange and a great top end).

The C326 has most of this but can be a bit bass dependent, more so when pushed hard!

matthewpiano

There has always been a big jump between NAD's C32x series and the C35x series amps. The C326BEE (and it's predecessor the C325BEE) are great budget amps and can make some budget speakers sound amazing but they have their limitations, and one of those is a bit of a ragged sound - a bit bright when pushed at the top end and a tendency towards a slightly hollow and over-blown sounding bass. The C356BEE takes the better qualities of it's younger brother (punchiness, great mid-range, fluidity) and combines them with better overall control, higher levels of detail and a more open window on the recording. With the additional power and current delivery it will drive the Dynaudios better and so you'll hear more of the qualities of the speakers rather than the limitations of the amp. By opening things up, the C356BEE should involve you with the music more.

Think of it like doing 80mph in a car with a 2.0 litre engine as opposed to a similar sized car with a 1.6 litre engine. All things being equal, you'll get more refined performance and more effortless delivery out of the bigger engine.

Don't forget, WHFS&V stated that the C326BEE is a great budget amp, as long as you partner it with speakers under £500.

See if your dealer will let you try the Rotel and the NAD at home, or maybe start by taking your speakers in to the dealer and trying both amps with them. Then choose the one you like the best for a home demo to confirm it is the right choice.

A

Anonymous

I had the Rotel RA1520 on home demo last year after a comparison with the C356BEE at the store. It is indeed a wonderfull amp. There was detail without borders and the midrange was just right. I used the RDAC as a source. The reason why i din't bought the amp is because with the rdac it was very bass heavy, i had to turn down the bass on the amp so that it would be listenable. because it was and is a very expensive amp i was afraid to buy the amp. But that was before all the home Demos.

A

Anonymous

Never heard the NAD 356 at home. I compared them both (356 vs 326) at the store with a CD545 player. I could not hear much difference between the two. The bass on the 356BEE was a bit fuller.

I think the rotel was better then the NAD. But as i said, bass troubles in my room with the Rotel held me back. So here is my delemma: buy the rotel and see if theres a solution for the bass troubles in my room. Or buy the NAD 356BEE. Also which DAC is a good option with the RA 1520 or 356BEE?

Whats the problem with the double posts?? I only press the reply button once.

matthewpiano

That brings us to your room then. What size is the room and how is your hi-fi set up? How far are the speakers from the wall, and what stands are you using? How far apart are the speakers and are they close to side-walls? Is the room predominantly soft furnishings or lots of hard surfaces?

Finally, what cables are you using?

matthewpiano

Right. The speakers look too close to the back wall and the right one is in a corner. This is where any excess bass is likely to be coming from. It also looks as though your speakers are on top of furniture and this won't be helping either, adding resonance from the furniture itself and not isolating the speakers sufficiently.

In short you need to experiment with speaker positioning and buy some proper stands.

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano said:
Right. The speakers look too close to the back wall and the right one is in a corner. This is where any excess bass is likely to be coming from. It also looks as though your speakers are on top of furniture and this won't be helping either, adding resonance from the furniture itself and not isolating the speakers sufficiently.

In short you need to experiment with speaker positioning and buy some proper stands.

Well if i could experiment with placement, i would. The used to be on top of a shelf near the ceiling, so this is already a big improvement. I do not have room for speakerstands.I tried to move both speakers forward, but it didn't have a major impact on the sound

I figured out that the NAD 356DAC has the same price as the Ra 1520 (€900). So the NAD has the advantage for having a dac already and NAD is often paired with Dynaudio. There is a possebility that i cannot demo nad with the module.

As stated before the rotel really moved me when it was on home demo, i really liked it, but the obvious bass kept me from buying the amp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts