bw 805 and a sub ?

biggus_1961

Nov 24, 2007
Visit site
if i wanted more bass than the 805 can give should i add a subwoofer or opt for the 804 standmounters ? would a sub such as a bw 608 be suitable as i notice the 800 series only have large subs which i feel may overpower the standmounts. Is 600 series sub a miss match for an 800 series standmount ?

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
I have a B&W 675 Sub it is quite small and I thought very musical when it was running with my 603 S2 and it was set up for music. Unfortunately when it was running with My 805s it sounds plodding in comparison, the bass from the sub stood out like a sore thumb, I think that is going to be the biggest issue finding a sub that sounds anywhere near as tight and controlled as the 805's and I dont think anything in the 600 range will cut it.

I run the 805's on their own the Bass is not the lowest but the control is worth it.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
If more bass is the only requirement, I would go with PV1. I have it, use it all the time and it is the best piece of equipment which I have not changed in the past 2 odd years! It is that good, and integrates with almost any set up!

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
just make sure you buy a good quality sub that's musical not just one tone and that can keep up with the standmounts speed - you have a lot of choice so don't feel you have to stick with B&W - i have a rel b2 that i use with a pair of MA PL100s and love it - wouldn't be without it - the biggest mistake ppl make with subs is they have them turned up to loud so are easily noticable or have the crossovers set to high/low so messes up the other frequencies but with a little time and setup I think you can achieve a far better sound than floortanders can ever offer with far more versatility especially as many amps now lack tone controls

biggus_1961

Nov 24, 2007
Visit site
PW...............thats what i thought might happen with 600 series sub, even a small one,

Looked at your sig ad those 805 with black stands alays look just sooooooo good.

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
Thank you, took a long time to decide what I wanted, in the end got them built at Custom Design, they are stock parts (Had to use the largest Top plates that had) From the RS300 range I think but had then made to a specific non stock height so that tweeters were at my ear height when I am slouched on my sofa.

Took a little while to sort out because they do not usually supply direct but the guys were great 5 Stars for service.

As the guys have said above the PV may do what you want but I would not buy without a home demo. Do you have the 805s already or are you just thinking about buying? Believe me they don't go as low as some but IMHO there other skills more than make up for that, I suppose it also will depend on your musical tastes i am in to well recorded instrumental & vocal stuff.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts