BUZZING AND POOR SOUND FROM MY TURNTABLE

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there. I have recently set up my new Project debut Esprit turntable with an old Technics su-x102 amplifier and the sound quality is terrible when playing my records. There is a constant buzzing (which seems to be getting worst) coming through my brand new wharfedale 9.1 speakers when no record is playing. My old low spec. Technics doesn't give me any problems like this. Is it possible that the new turntable isn't compatible with my old amp? Does anyone have any ideas? Any advice is much appreciated!!

Petherick

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
IIs there an earth connection betwen the turntable and the amp? Is the buzzing always at the same frequency?

What exactly do you mean when you say the sound quality is terrible?

A

Anonymous

Is the turn table earthed properly? Are you sure it's not a ground loop hum?

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply. There is an earth connection into the back of the amp. The buzz is always the same frequency, the sound is best described as fuzzy and distorted.

A

Anonymous

Just discovered that even with the power to the turntable switched off that the buzzing is still there!

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
ive heard some people getting this and removing the earth has solved it. or has the earth broken off inside the technics amp , you could try and temp get an earth from a socket and put that on the back of the amp joining with the turntable earth.

all the best

Amyl Right Mate

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
jaycrae:Just discovered that even with the power to the turntable switched off that the buzzing is still there!

Probably not surprising.

The power to a TT only runs the motor. The current generated in the cart that is then sent to the amp is nothing to do with the electricity coming from the mains. If you unplug a turntable from the wall and turn the platter by hand sound will emit from the speakers.

jerry klinger

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
As far as the bad sound quality - I don't know the t/t or the cartridge but I'd take a bet that the 'old Technics amp' has a poor phono stage. Try a s/h Rotel RA01 or RA02 - superb phono stage.

A

Anonymous

Do you get the buzzing with when you use a CD player or Tape player?

Also, you mention an old technics - was this a turntable? Connect it up and see if it plays now without the buzzing If it does, then the phono stage is fine.

A

Anonymous

Hi Grottyash. There is no buzzing from any other component, and the old Technics deck doesn't give any buzzing. I am hoping that the old system is past it and all i need is a new amp (which i am planning on getting anyway), and nothing wrong with the new turntable! Is this possible?

A

Anonymous

It indicates there's a problem with the turntable or cartridge connections somewhere. Will cogitate over lunch.

A

Anonymous

Just quickly, check the connections to your cartridge. Make sure they are secure, in the right place, not touching etc. Also make sure anything that might introduce electrical interference isn't close - cartridges and their light wiring are very susceptible to pick up any interference going.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for taking time to help me out Grottyash! Checked the connections and all seems fine, no electrical equipment nearby to interfere. Getting concerned that it might a problem with the turntable and that sending it back might be the only solution, as you've probably guessed I'm fairly new to this and not too technically minded!

A

Anonymous

Could be just the cartridge, but, if the turntable is new, then contacting your dealer would be a good idea.

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
not sure if it has been said but if the cd is fine put the turntable into that input it will sound weak and wrong but if the buzzing goes then it is the phono stage. Or just take the turntable into a dealer and have a chat and im sure he will fire it through a good phono and amp and then it should become alot clearer.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Smuggs, tried that and when i did the very poor sound quality is still apparent. Seems like it must be a turntable issue! Such a pain having to send it back to get it looked at.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts