Buying TV online fro Currys

tigetspill

Aug 15, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

I am looking at the Panasonic P50G30 from Currys at £549 which is a great price.

However, no stores near me have them in stock. I was told last Saturday that there would be a big delivery yesterday (Friday 24/2) but this didnt happen. Their system in store is now saying next Friday 2nd March.

I am getting impatient and was thinking of buying it online. I have never purchased a large and expensive item such as this to be delivered before.

Are there any down sides to buying online?

Will Currys stores still deal with any issues oir returns/refund if there is a problem with the TV?

Has anyone any experience of buying from Currys online or having problems?

I have no idea what Curry's customer service is like.

Thanks

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
If you've been to Currys and decided that's the TV you want, then there shouldn't be any downside to buying from their online site instead of buying from the store - though it might be worth making that clear to the store as feedback. Their returns policy specifically states that you can return the item to store if there are any issues (though I'd advise reading the full terms and conditions so you're clear on them).

Make sure that the TV is available and ready for delivering in the next few days before ordering of course - it would be a shame to find the same stock issues mean you won't get the TV any quicker! If that's all okay, I guess the only downside is ensuring someone can be at home the whole day and ready to accept the delivery.

I haven't really had experience of buying from Currys personally as I prefer to shop locally somewhere I know I'll get good customer service because of past experience i.e. a local dealer, or somewhere which has a no quibble refund policy (such as John Lewis). I've seen some customer services horror stories about Currys, but I'm sure they also have plenty of very happy customers - a retailer of that size is bound to have both.

A

Anonymous

Curry's are cutting down on stocking plasma's cos i think the understanding is they old technology. They going down the led road. They only had 3 plasma's in branch today and they was reduced to clear. John Lewis offer same price on website as do in store Curry's don't and that applies to a lot of retailors. John Lewis being the exception and as some one as pointed out all tvs come with 5 year warrantys! :shifty:

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
Mrcoolxx last years models of tv are coming to an end, new tv's will be launched soon which is why curry's don't have many plasma's new model's out SOON. !!!!!!!

A

Anonymous

Well there not going to be that many coming to the market really majority are led now and you can tell a big difference between plasma and led in the shops.

robjcooper

Sep 29, 2008
Visit site
Also MrCoolxx, from a pure numbers point of view don't forget that LCD screens are available in both two flavours of backlighting (CCFL and LED) and in a much broader range of screen sizes, right from 16" - 65" whereas plasmas only start at 42", which is why when you visit your local Currys there are so many more LCDs than plasmas on display - there's just simply a much larger range of options.

And if you consider that most screens in those big stores are just flung up on a wall or onto a massive display stand and then fed with a multi split signal going via who knows where, I'm not really sure that your "big difference" comparison between the two formats is really valid, as on the whole they all look pretty dreadful. Also, since joining this forum, you have made several different postings relating your bad experience with a panasonic plasma, which doesn't really give much credence to your opinion that plasma is dead/dying/old technology and that LCD is the future/much better format - perhaps just a small bunch of 'sour grapes' ?
smiley-wink.gif

Tigetspill, if you do have a John Lewis or a decent hi-fi/AV retailer near you, then pop in and see them. John Lewis' warranties and customer service are superb, but you can often get the same level of service from your local dealer - my local Sevenoaks were very good when I had a problem, and they were cheaper than both Curry's and JL (including a 5 year warranty) and I also got a nice deal on some cables too.

3937edwards

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
i agree with robjcooper sour grapes i think i have had lcd / led all with there issues i now have a panasonic tx-p50gt30 plasma and it is a fantastic tv and no issues as i had with the led lcd etc . yes people have had problems with this tv but if you go to a reputable dealer and get a good warranty then there should not be any issues if you get any at all and the panasonic did win a what hifi best 50" tv 2011 :)

robjcooper

Sep 29, 2008
Visit site
Hi 3937,

Nice to see you back and finally happy with your new Panasonic - it was a long hard struggle to get there and I admire your patience ! I actually managed to sort out the 'blinking' on my C7000 by the simple fix of moving the virgin box input (which was the only source it happened with) from HDMI 1 to HDMI 4 and it has been solid and stable ever since.

Rob

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

+1 for Panasonic plasma TV's. Had 2 now over a period of 5 years. Absolutely no problems whatsoever with either.

Looked after as per manufacturers instructions and certainly not paused TV for longer than 30 minutes.

Played driving games on both with static driving displays and not had any bother getting rid of a small amount of IR.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

3937edwards

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
hi robjcooper yes patience is a virtue after a new main power board and then a new pdp panel in my c7000 samsung decided to refund my money i did go for the samsung ue46d8000 but when i got it home apart from motion issues and backlight bleed it also had dead pixels so went for the panny gt30 i did have a issue with the green tinge but i contacted panasonic who stated on one of the threads that a software upgrade which had to be carried out in the home by a panasonic engineer and within 2 days came out and issued solved so well done to panasonic who at the moment are getting a bashing on some of the threads. by the way the panasonic is a great tv no i.r whatsoever . glad you have sorted your c7000 regards :clap:

tigetspill

Aug 15, 2009
Visit site
Well, I did buy from Currys online. The Panasonic plasma 50G30. Delivered as promised. All has gone well.

Had it a week and I am amazed how good it is. I have to be honest, I do like plasma over LCD. That's a personal preference, nothing more.

I have read a numbe of threads teat and can't work out what mrcoolxx is about. Seems to post plasma hate stuff, over and over again. Attention seeking schoolboy behaviour. Anyone can have a bad experience with any product, it doesn't make them all bad.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts