Buying Pre-owned B&W Speakers.

Babur72

Nov 25, 2007
Visit site
Hi Guys,

In a bit of a quandry.Have the opportunity of purchasing a pre-owned pair of B&W 803D's or B&W 802D's.Both were purchased from authorised B&W dealers here in Surrey,are less than 2 years old,seem to have been well cared for & sold complete with original packaging,product registration/warranty documents & sales receipts.If i do end up buying one of them i'll be saving around £3,000- compared to new.

The 803D's belong to my sisters' brother-in-law.Having seen & heard them before,i'm fairly sure they're in great condition but,my concerns are that B&W's manufacturer's warranty is not transferable-so i may be stuck if a fault developed later.Which speaker components would need the most frequent repair/replacement & approximately at what cost?

Lastly,what specificly should i be looking at & be listening for when i'm afforded a demo./inspection to satisfy myself that either pair have no existing problems & i haven't been sold a dud?

I realise i seem a bit over-cautious but,this may be my first private/pre-owned purchase so i'd appreciate the advice of those of you who have bought used Hi-Fi-particularly speakers before.

Thanks.

BABUR.

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
Speakers are the hifi components which would 'fail' the least since they are passive - it is quite rare and would only happen quickly with abuse. Just make sure that you have adequate amplification with either of these as they can be current hungry, especially the 802Ds.

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
If i were the company i would endevour to help with any issues you may have as long as you have the reciept- especially since its my flagship model! However im not the company. And really they shouldn't break without abuse.

Babur72

Nov 25, 2007
Visit site
Hi TearDrop,Shaxos,

Appreciate the prompt replies.

Yeah,i hear what you're saying(?).Which is why the pre/power amps. i've auditioned recently or am about to demo. include:

Bryston BP26C-DA inc. external power-supply/4B-SST or 2 x 7B-SST

Classe CP700 inc. external power-supply/2 x M400.

Electrocompaniet EC-4.8 or EC-4.9(2-channel)/2 x AW180 or AW400

Gamut D3i/2 x M250mkIII

Plinius Tautoro/SA reference or 2 x SA103

By the way,which parts of the speaker would you suggest i should pay particular attention to & what should i be listening out for when i get round to auditioning them?

Thanks guys.

BABUR.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts