Buying Media jukebox - £1000 budget

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I'm guessing that a lot of people who have posted on this post have no experience of media players. For one, there is no need to spend anywhere near £1k. Actually, there is nothing on the Market that does which fits the OP's brief. I have used the HDX BD1 and it's good but firmware updates (very important with media players/tanks) are terrible, almost non existant. I now have the Popcorn Hour A-200 which I have reboxed into a nice bespoke case (the original is horrible). This does everything the OP wants apart from ripping DVDs and Blurays - no machine that I know of does that. As for a PC being an alternative, well even a £2k one won't play video as well as a media player with Syabas software.

So, I would go with PCH A-200 and get the modded case for £40 (total £210). A DAC if you don't have one for music through the player. Whatever storage route you want to go down (I have an internal 1tb drive and a Samsung Story 1.5tb external drive). Then you can spend a bit on ripping software so that you can rip your discs and then add/stream to your media player.

For the record, it plays flac and wav bit perfectly. ALL video files, HD audio (apart from DD TrueHd - which is coming).

scene

JohnDuncan:scene:an iPod Touch didn't really cut the mustard... So could we get an iPad instead

Schoolboy error...

Which error?
- The two grammatical errors in the sentence
- The choice of an iPod over an iPad
- The attempt to use an iPod as a mustard-cutting device?

emotion-2.gif

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc:not sure I understand your point, I wouldn't have though Ocado are worried about the speed of your broadband, I think in my case it's got more to do with there not being a Waitrose within about 100 miles of where I live.It has nothing to do with the location of your nearest Waitrose as Ocado do not get their stock from Waitrose stores. Ocado are an independent business who have a deal with JL to sell Waitrose own brand food and they have their own warehouses.Although there is a Waitrose local to me, the Ocado van travels 50 miles to deliver to me.

scene

Gerrardasnails:I'm guessing that a lot of people who have posted on this post have no experience of media players. For one, there is no need to spend anywhere near £1k. Actually, there is nothing on the Market that does which fits the OP's brief. I have used the HDX BD1 and it's good but firmware updates (very important with media players/tanks). I now have the Popcorn Hour A-200 which I have reboxed into a nice bespoke case (the original is horrible). This does everything the OP wants apart from ripping DVDs and Blurays - no machine that I know of does that. As for a PC being an alternative, well even a £2k one won't play video as well as a media player with Syabas software.

So, I would go with PCH A-200 and get the modded case for £40 (total £210). A DAC if you don't have one for music through the player. Whatever storage route you want to go down (I have an internal 1tb drive and a Samsung Story 1.5tb external drive). Then you can spend a bit on ripping software so that you can rip your discs and then add/stream to your media player.

For the record, it plays flac and wav bit perfectly. ALL video files, HD audio (apart from DD TrueHd - which is coming).

I'm not just trying to get a Media Player - and maybe I haven't made this clear enough in my posts (I should re-read them). I'm trying to get a home media "hub" (for want of a better word) that will allow me to automate the process of ripping CDs and (non-commercial) DVDs, with the capacity to do the same for Blu-Rays down the line act and as a Media server for media players, both music and video - with the core of that distributed playback being provided for by the Sonos.

I wanted it to be in my media cupboard, so I wanted it quite. Hence the Zino is acting as the Hub, doubling up for the NAS to start with, till I get a proper NAS. I did consider an HTPC (bought or built), but couldn't find one to spec/cost to buy and the three small ones prevent me having the time to build one myself...

I was interested in the Popcorn, but I still wanted the DVD/CD ripping, so that meant I needed another solution and didn't want to use either of the two laptops in the house for this purpose (for various reasons - one too old, one out and about to much), so needed a new PC/Ripper anyway, so that was factored in.

OK the iPad was an extension to the original requirements and to be honest is more of a lifestyle choice.

Agree with you about a DAC, but the Sonos will be wired into my AVR250, using its DAC which is pretty good. When I get another Sonos to connect to the A85 (or its replacement) a DAC is on the menu.

As I've pursued the project I have realised that the brief is probably only satisfied by some £10-15k Sooloos system, or its ilk. But I've persevered, to see how family-friendly a device I can put together from a zero level (except for Hi Fi and AV equipment) which is where I'm at. I could have gone for a more technical, working solution for a lot lot less money, but I was trying to get something that my wife, and down the line, my kids, could use relatively easily. Hence why I'm contemplating XBMC or MyMovies for the movies media interface.

scene

JohnDuncan:Choice of iPad over iPod. It's unwieldy and you'll wish you had something you could hold with one hand.

As it were.

Maybe - but I as I said, its a multi-functional thingy...

I take it you didn't get on with the iPad?

scene

JohnDuncan:Not at all. Too small to sit on your lap, too big and heavy to hold in your hand and still touch the screen.

I suspect that it won't be sitting on my lap very much
emotion-5.gif
I think I may have to prise it out of my wife's hands to change the music, or more likely just ask nicely...
emotion-1.gif

scene

Gerrardasnails:

An apology.
emotion-10.gif
Sorry, I've just re-read my reply to your comments and realised that it sounded a bit curt. This wasn't my intention, I was in a bit of a rush and I wanted to reply to your post, which I felt made a very valid set of points. I must remember (as I've posted before) to read my posts before sending them.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
scene:
Gerrardasnails:

An apology.
emotion-10.gif
Sorry, I've just re-read my reply to your comments and realised that it sounded a bit curt. This wasn't my intention, I was in a bit of a rush and I wanted to reply to your post, which I felt made a very valid set of points. I must remember (as I've posted before) to read my posts before sending them.

No worries mate, I didn't take it like that at all.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts