Buying cheaper records off Amazon.de

Rocketway

Jan 9, 2017
Visit site
Has anyone ever bought their records off Amazon.de to ship to UK?

Noticed quite a few records I am after are £4 - £10 cheaper on the German site.

Have you recieved English records?

Rocketway said:

Cannot say I have. I am pretty sure you're going to have to be careful you don't fall into any VAT / import duty situation. What sort of postage costs are they quoting?

D

Deleted member 108165

I have some experience of purchasing items both through Amazon.de and eBay.de. No problems, just make sure they will ship to the UK. As for tax/duty we are currently still in the EU so nothing extra to pay when it lands in the UK. I've also purchased a great many items through Discogs, both from the EU and rest of the world, again no problems. Tax is only levied when an item is bought outside the EU and is over £15, duty starts at £135.

Just in case the group recorded an album in another language, other than English, this can easily be cross referenced with the entry on Discogs database for that release.

DougK said:
I have some experience of purchasing items both through Amazon.de and eBay.de. No problems, just make sure they will ship to the UK. As for tax/duty we are currently still in the EU so nothing extra to pay when it lands in the UK. I've also purchased a great many items through Discogs, both from the EU and rest of the world, again no problems. Tax is only levied when an item is bought outside the EU and is over £15, duty starts at £135.

Just in case the group recorded an album in another language, other than English, this can easily be cross referenced with the entry on Discogs database for that release.

Thanks for clarification on tax / duty. I wasn't too sure what current limits were.

brownz

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Rocketway said:

Will they come with sub-titles ? I speak a little German, enough to get by and order food and beer etc, but I'm pretty sure there would be a lot of deep and mystical lyrics that I just won't understand.

;-)

(Tongue firmly in cheek)

brownz said:
Rocketway said:

Will they come with sub-titles ? I speak a little German, enough to get by and order food and beer etc, but I'm pretty sure there would be a lot of deep and mystical lyrics that I just won't understand.

;-)

(Tongue firmly in cheek)

Kraftwerk don't need suptitles....

Tongue even more firmly in cheek. ;-)

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I can remember in the old days (no sniggering at the back) hearing some recordings that were imports, and the mix was totally different to records released in this country. Just sayin'...

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Back on topic, I think it's very unlikely there will be separate UK and European pressings, as press runs are pretty low these days compared with when records were the main format. You might find separate European and US pressings, and in my recent experience the European pressing is likely to be better in this case – especially if it has been pressed in Germany. If the UK sales are of a US pressing and German sales of a European pressing, you might even be better off buying from Germany. If you don't have a local record shop to support, of course. The only minus point is likely to be if anything goes wrong, the difficulty and potential costs of returning items.

iMark

thescarletpronster said:
Priceless, isn't it? It still makes me laugh, and I've seen it loads of times. ‚‚Das ist der ganze Sache.’’

I'd never seen this before. Excellent, very funny. It also shows that German has a complicated Grammer for English speakers. "Das ist die ganze Sache". (Sache is feminin, not masculin). It took me years of hard work in secondary school to perfect my knowledge of German grammer. And I still make mistakes.

iMark

Al ears said:
Thanks for clarification on tax / duty. I wasn't too sure what current limits were.

At the moment there are no limits. That's how the EU single market works for consumers. Brexit will have many unintended consequences if it means leaving the single market and the customs union.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Al ears said:
apart from Bill Bailey who are those other guys?

Kevin Eldon is the other one at the start. He's a very talented comic actor, who's been in many many things - in fact, coincidentally I saw him in Hot Fuzz last night. I'm not sure about the other. I guess they were all the support acts during the tour.

Thanks for the correction, iMark. I'm shamefully inept in German, as I love the country but have never managed to apply myself to learning the language, even though I took it for one year at school I know pitifully few words, let alone understand the grammar.

iMark

thescarletpronster said:
Thanks for the correction, iMark. I'm shamefully inept in German, as I love the country but have never managed to apply myself to learning the language, even though I took it for one year at school I know pitifully few words, let alone understand the grammar.

I remember that learning English was very different to learning French or German. English grammer is comparatively easy but spelling and pronunciation are highly irregular. French and especially German take a lot of time to learn the grammer. But spelling and pronunciation are relatively straightforward. German is even more difficult than French because it has 3 genders and 4 cases. My native tongue Dutch sits somewhere in the middle. But is quite difficult to learn for English speakers because the grammer is quite different.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts