Buying a Turntable

juliz7

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Hello everybody!

First of all sorry for my poor english

I want to buy a new turntable, and truth said, I am a total amateur on this field

I want to spend between 300 till 500 euros, and right now i have a Marantz amp (PM5004), Chario speakers, and a Denon turntable (dp 29f?)

I was wonderig if you could give me some advice in both, automatic and manual turntables in that price range

Thanks a lot!

Regards

Julian

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I don't know which Charios you have, but a quick Google of the current ones all show an average 4ohm impedance, so at some point I would look at your amplification and give them something to really sing about. Your Marantz will be doing a good job, but I'm guessing the Charios could be doing much better.

Unless you're a little wobbly cueing records up, I'd ignore semi automatic and fully automatic turntables. There's a lot of bits and bobs inside that do the auto stuff for you - these unnecessary bits can affect the reliability of a turntable. Some people are still using fully manual Rega turntables from 40 years ago without problems.

The important thing about a turntable though is its sound quality, so find a local dealer, book a demo, and try a couple out to see where you want to be in the grand analogue scheme of things - turntables rely on engineering quality to sound good/better.

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
<p>I don't know which Charios you have, but a quick Google of the current ones all show an average 4ohm impedance, so at some point I would look at your amplification and give them something to really sing about. Your Marantz will be doing a good job, but I'm guessing the Charios could be doing much better.</p>

Jackie-Chan-WTF.jpg

Same for me. I wouldn't go for a new automatic. Because it's difficult and costly to make today. Used -> why not, but be sure it's totally refurbished, because those auto tt's can be a pain in the __ to maintain.

The usual price/peformance suspect will probably be recommended. The tcheck Pro-Ject, the swiss Thorens, the english Rega and probably some audio technicas. In this moment, I would recommend Pro-Ject in the 500£, due to strange design choices and rollercoasterl like reliability and quality controls at Rega. Specially for Thorens, I would have an eye on the used market, due to the absence of hype around the actual made products of this brand. But you can find really good shape P3 tuntables from Rega in the moment. Don't forget to watch out for some Micro-Seiki, Technics, Denon or Pioneer stuff in this market too. Sometimes you find good deals.

paul darwin

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
NSA,

I know from your previous posts that you do not particularly like our Rega turntables, which is absolutely fine and your choice, but could I ask that you sustantiate your "rollercoaster like reliability and quality control at Rega" as comments like that, in isolation, can be very damaging to a companies reputaion.

Also, whilst we are at it, it would be good to know exactly what you mean by "strange design choices" as our design philosophy has remained absolutely consistent and fundamentally unchanged in over 43 years of manufacture. We have employed new materials, new technologies and refined manufacturing techniques where appropriate, that I believe have enabled us to offer better performance, increased consistency, reliability and longevity at competetively reasonable prices across the range.

Paul Darwin

Rega Research

Quite right Paul.All I ever read from nsa is negative and derogatory feedback from almost anything that is hi-fi on this site.I would much rather he/she,it,...would keep so much negativity to one's self and if you have nothing constructive to add then please just disappear like the nsa.

paul darwin said:
NSA,

I know from your previous posts that you do not particularly like our Rega turntables, which is absolutely fine and your choice, but could I ask that you sustantiate your "rollercoaster like reliability and quality control at Rega" as comments like that, in isolation, can be very damaging to a companies reputaion.

Also, whilst we are at it, it would be good to know exactly what you mean by "strange design choices" as our design philosophy has remained absolutely consistent and fundamentally unchanged in over 43 years of manufacture. We have employed new materials, new technologies and refined manufacturing techniques where appropriate, that I believe have enabled us to offer better performance, increased consistency, reliability and longevity at competetively reasonable prices across the range.

Paul Darwin

Rega Research

Hear, hear!

Chris Munden

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
I bought my Planar 3 /RB300 arm in 1980, with a couple of new belts and some maintenence over time its still working fine, still giving me pleasure and even though I have asked this forum site for advice on a new deck and or upgrades to my P3, but its working so great I will leave it, which must be testimony to the Original design concept, if it aint broke don't fix it but tweak it if you feel you need to.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts