Burr Brown DACS

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Yo, the pandora handheld which is due to be released soon is using the burr brown PCM1773 DAC for it's output.

I was wondering if anybody here knew how good this DAC is as I'm sure it's been used in some quality CD players and hifi dacs (any ideas which?). I'm trying to gauge (because I can't wait) the sound quality of this handheld and must admit I raised my eyebrows when I heard BB dacs were being used.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
B-B, like most chip manufacturers, make models of a variety of specifications. I wouldn't read too much into the mere fact of B-B conversion being used, as there's a lot that can be done upstream or downstream to affect the quality available.

Don Guess

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
I agree with the above. The implementation of the circuit around the dac chip makes a huge difference. There's more to it than just looking at the spec of the actual d/a converter.

idc

Burr Brown DACs are used in a whole range of DACs which rate completely differently, from the 5 star DACmagic and Beresford to 4 star Musical Fidelity V-DAC to others such as the Pro-ject and Firestone DACs.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:B-B, like most chip manufacturers, make models of a variety of specifications. I wouldn't read too much into the mere fact of B-B conversion being used, as there's a lot that can be done upstream or downstream to affect the quality available.

emotion-21.gif
agree with most of that, power supplies and op amps all make a big different to the sound but you can generally guess what house sound is likely to be by look up the DAC's chipset though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts