Building A Sub £1000 Music System

StevenKay

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Hi all music lovers and experts here

(Building A Sub £1000 Music System)

If you were to build a music system (comprising of an Amp, Speakers and a CD Player) within a budgeted amount of around £1000 which particular components (brands - models) would you choose and why? Would be great to know your views. Thanks.

Cold Roses

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
Is this a hypothetical question or are you looking to purchase something?

If the latter, I think folks would benefit from some further details, e.g., what functionality do you want?, what's your listening environment like?, what sorts of music do you listen to?, what sort of sound are you after? Also, would this system be a keeper or a stepping stone for future upgrades?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Right now, I would choose what I have. Marantz M-CR603 £449 + £39 for AirPlay.

My speakers are no longer available (and their successors are too expensive for the £1000 budget) so I would choose good £350 - £450 speakers like the Monitor Audio RX1 or similar.

Stands (like these) and a bit of speaker cable and that's the £1000 done.

For that I get FM/DAB/Internet radio, CD player, amp, DAC with optical connection for a BluRay/DVD player, USB connection for iPhone/iPod, AirPlay for wireless streaming from iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad and iTunes, couple of 'aux' RCA phono inputs (for connecting a turntable and phono-stage as an example).

For a more 'purist' approach I would get a Rega Apollo and Rega Brio 3 and have £200 left-over for a pair of Monitor Audio BX1s (or BX2s) or towards saving up for a pair of Rega RS1s

StevenKay

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Cold Roses

Hi

Yes, it is with the intent to purchase.

I listen to a wide range of music from Classical to Hard Rock. I want to build up a system that would reproduce music as pure as possible with minimum distortion or deterioration of the original sound as recorded. To be able to listen to the vocals and each and every instrument distinctly and apart from each other, with a balanced tone, treble and bass....The system would be used mainly in the living room area (15x20 feet). If I am able to build a system which is up to my expectations, I would like to keep it for a few years. Thanks for your help.

A

Anonymous

This is what I'd do:

arcam alpha 9/10 amp/nad c370 ebay £200-£300 depending on what you get

tangent cd 50 (looks nice, only costs £50) connected via optical out to a dacmagic (but i have a lot of music on my computer) £200ish or an arcam alpha 8/9cd player £200+

second hand rx2/gr 10 or new rx1 £425+ish

should come to under a grand

If I had another £1000, I'd buy a TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 and build a sealed enclosure. And power it with a pyle audio amp. Would outperform a $12000 jl gotham for displacement....

A

Anonymous

StevenKay said:
I want to build up a system that would reproduce music as pure as possible with minimum distortion or deterioration of the original sound as recorded.

ignore my suggestion about the £1000 sub...my other suggestions were serious though.

StevenKay

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
chebby

Hi

I have gone through your comments carefully and find them very useful. You have mentioned products I had never considered so far. Sound good. I would definitely consider the options suggested by you before I finally buy. Thanks a lot.

Cold Roses

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
Glad I wasn't able to post before now, because Chebby has saved me a bit of time typing. He's made the exact suggestions I was going to make (i.e., all Rega or Marantz CR603 if you're willing to try a one box solution and interested in the added functionality).

I actually wouldn't be surprised if you can pick up the Rega Apollo, Brio3 and RS1s for pretty close to £1K at the moment (albeit plus cable costs), whether by finding a friendly dealer who's willing to offer a deal or buying one of the components ex dem. Moorgate Acoustics have a pair of ex dem Piano Gloss Black RS1s on their website at the moment for £299 which is a pretty good buy. When I've got a little more time, I'll convey some of my thoughts on the Rega set up.

I presume you've also considered WHF's Best Budget System suggestion - http://www.whathifi.com/best-buys/hi-fi-budget

It's also worth pondering the active speaker route (rather than speakers and amp). If detail and accuracy is what you're after, then this may actually be a very good option. Though I'll leave it to others to make suggestions on that front, given that I've only limited experience with active speakers.

T

the record spot

I'd widen my remit and look at alternatives including offboard DACs, active speakers and computer audio. I'd only consider those traditional components that offered additional functionality and less the single-purpose bits of kit. That might push your budget so would look at the active, etc., route. Yamaha HS80s, Rokit KRK5s, for under £400, Emotiva XDA-1 DAC/pre-amp and computer. Or similar.

TRENDING THREADS