Building a replacement system due to house fire.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

manix

May 31, 2016
Visit site
Least the OP can take something important away from this thread - Don't bother wasting his time asking a question again
thumbs_up.gif

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Ah ok :)

Well, might just add my portion of non-sense.

Because Kevin looks like Peter J. Comeau, the genius that is now behind much of IAG's concepts, including Quad, Wharfedale, Mission I suggest the following;

Quad VA-One Integrated. In my eyes the most beautiful piece of hifi you can buy short of spending indecent money.

Quad S-4 speakers As above, pretty and designed by the man himself.

It will be a couple of hundred over budget and it won't do 120db but the style, the style ... .

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
manix said:
Least the OP can take something important away from this thread - Don't bother wasting his time asking a question again

...unless it's about cables....in which case the answer is NOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooo!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
C'mon guys, we can't let the poor guy down.

I'll carry on;

If my previous suggestion of the most gorgeous and desirable Quad system doesn't appeal perhaps an active system tickles his fancy?

Dynaudio make some nice looking, domestic friendly active speakers which probably fit his brief.

Me personally, I am also a Cyrus fan/user so a Lyric system as one box solution would also appeal. Some good deals there. £1600 (3000 RRP). Leaves £600 to 800 for boxes. Quad S2 perhaps?

Still, for sheer uniqueness and sex appeal, I would personally want to check out that Quad ...

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
drummerman said:

I'll carry on;

If my previous suggestion of the most gorgeous and desirable Quad system doesn't appeal perhaps an active system tickles his fancy?

Dynaudio make some nice looking, domestic friendly active speakers which probably fit his brief.

Me personally, I am also a Cyrus fan/user so a Lyric system as one box solution would also appeal. Some good deals there. £1600 (3000 RRP). Leaves £600 to 800 for boxes. Quad S2 perhaps?

Still, for sheer uniqueness and sex appeal, I would personally want to check out that Quad ...
well the op has a budget of £2200

his room is 37ft by 15ft

kevin has not mentioned active speakers but as usual active speakers have been pushed on to him like most of the posts on here end up being about active speakers eventually .

And then your got Lindsyt going around putting down other people's opinions ..... posts 5 , 9 , 16 ,17 , 22

why bother !

I have found that it's just better to go to your local hifi shop and ask .... most people make there on minds up anyway what they what . This is why I said go and demo because how do you know what the hifi will sounds like on the internet .

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:
Ah ok :)

Well, might just add my portion of non-sense.

Because Kevin looks like Peter J. Comeau, the genius that is now behind much of IAG's concepts, including Quad, Wharfedale, Mission I suggest the following;

Quad VA-One Integrated. In my eyes the most beautiful piece of hifi you can buy short of spending indecent money.

Quad S-4 speakers As above, pretty and designed by the man himself.

It will be a couple of hundred over budget and it won't do 120db but the style, the style ... .

Looks absolutely gorgeous, decent functionality too in this instance.

Power is very modest for such a big room but if the budget can be pushed to add a pair of Klipsch Heresy III, you would really be in business.

The Quad is £1300 and the Heresy prices tend to vary, I have seen them under £1400, though £1750 is more typical.

A great example of a certain type of system, assuming you 'swing that way' as it were...*dirol*

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
drummerman said:

I'll carry on;

well the op has a budget of £2200

his room is 37ft by 15ft

kevin has not mentioned active speakers but as usual active speakers have been pushed on to him like most of the posts on here end up being about active speakers eventually .

And then your got Lindsyt going around putting down other people's opinions ..... posts 5 , 9 , 16 ,17 , 22

why bother !

I have found that it's just better to go to your local hifi shop and ask .... most people make there on minds up anyway what they what . This is why I said go and demo because how do you know what the hifi will sounds like on the internet .

I don't agree that actives are being pushed on anyone. They're simply being presented as an alternative to consider. I'd never heard them previously before going down that route myself, there may be others out there in the exact same boat. Narrow minded people that instantly jump on those that propose this potential route are the problem. The usual suspects, sh*t stirring for the sake of it. If I thought my previous set up was an ideal solution to the OP's original request I would have suggested that. Sadly with his budget he couldn't afford the PMC's.

Perhaps people shouldn't ask for pointers and feedback as any meaningful replies should surely be based on personal experience, either what we've heard or own/ed. For some here that's akin to a sin, suggesting what we own or enjoy, the sheer madness and gall of it! Pointless then, why ask, why not just read a hifi magazine?!

All your other points I totally agree with. This forum has died a death, some of you simply don't realise it. (not aimed at you personally)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Are changing hi-fi a lot.

My own system does not involve one single 'regular' source component, everything is streamed via a 'hi-fi computer', in my case a Raumfelt Connector

Something like the even more functional WXC50 will give many people all that they need, direct access to streaming services such as Spotify or Tidal, internet radio, streaming your own material on the LAN, inputs via Bluetooth and Airplay and regular wired inputs.

The WXC50 is totally controlled from a hand held device, including volume and eq functions so can drive straight into a power amplifier, which is where active speakers have an advantage cost wise, no expensive casework (usually the most expensive part of the amplifer).

In systems of this type, active systems make a lot of sense, there are loads to choose from though you will have to go a bit further than your local RicherOakes.

Clearly conventional integrated amps an speakers can be used if that is your thing, we all like to do things in different ways. Just set the WXC50 to fixed output and use the amp as normal, though of course you will need the amp's own remote to adjust levels.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Is a superb piece of kit. Again I took the plunge with this, unheard and got mine on the day of release.

This morning using the Bluetooth function for the first time streaming Amazon Prime via phone, easy enough and perfectly acceptable sonic performance.

For £299 you can't go wrong and obviously there's the WXA-50 (Amped) version out retailing for £429.99. Personally I'd be less likely to go that route. I'm thinking you could maybe do better for the money eslewhere re an amp but I've not heard it perform. But the preamp version does it all for me. It puts to shame my previous Pioneer N-50 network player, in terms of functionality, performance, formats, looks and price. Hopefully some magazines will review it soon.

In term of hifi meddling I still have my turntable to play with.

Forgive me for banging on about a product I currently own. ;-)

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
you'd have more credibility if you weren't besotted with active speakers, and one brand in particular. Woe betide anyoe who suggests an alternative !

davedotco said:
avole said:
you'd have more credibility if you weren't besotted with active speakers, and one brand in particular. Woe betide anyoe who suggests an alternative !

The lady doth protest too much, methinks!

Indeed. And there was me thinking all active speakers sounded the same......

....... just thought I'd get that in before another well known forumee did... :)

manix

May 31, 2016
Visit site
Why not chuck it in, silly thread anyway. Not the OP's fault.

Cerwin vega xls-215 would destroy these poor little actives that have been suggested with there so called bass and volume. Hold on that can't be right because you would only get tiny ported speakers and amp for 2k+.

Following from another suggestion on this thread God forbid anyone going to a hi-fi shop. These are a easy purchase online and probably nowhere in the UK to demo them anyway. So they tick the box - oh good.

So it just leaves you to pick up the biggest stinking amp from somewhere to power the Cerwin's. Good news there as the Cerwin's cost well less than 1K you may well get something to drive them to the point of ear bleeding and they sure will with a sensitivity of 95.3 DB.

OK had my fun for the day now.

I'm still here although I've not got much from the discussions (other than thinking the horn speakers are too fugly for my tastes)

I'm pretty much settled on the Cambridge Audio CXN as the network player. Speakers on the shortlist are Dali Zensor 7, B&W 683 S2, Monitor Audio Silver 8.

Amps I'm not sure on yet. Given the CXN has built in pre-amp there are a number of options. It may be on audition I'm off the mark and have to rethink however got to start somewhere and budget as usual will limit the choices.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
avole said:

Happy because I've just forked out just shy of £2000 on a new set up and am delighted with the results. See the feedback of the bakeoff, despite Lindsayt remarks about there being a clear winner, IPV later queries this! There's no clear about it.. Winner, runner up it's all subjective and doesn't really matter, the fact is these speakers perform well beyond their price range and do put other more expensive conventional systems to shame. What a shame they don't have a KEF badge emblazed upon them....

I resent certain posters on here that continually try to shut myself and others down simply because we are 'besotted' with a particular brand. I've owned other gear and feel I'm equally qualifed to offer opinion about those items and comparisons between the two.

The OP made a request for pointers, myself and others responded and tried to assist, seems he wasn't really interested anyway. Why bother?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Kevin Hollingworth said:
I'm still here although I've not got much from the discussions (other than thinking the horn speakers are too fugly for my tastes)

I'm pretty much settled on the Cambridge Audio CXN as the network player. Speakers on the shortlist are Dali Zensor 7, B&W 683 S2, Monitor Audio Silver 8.

Amps I'm not sure on yet. Given the CXN has built in pre-amp there are a number of options. It may be on audition I'm off the mark and have to rethink however got to start somewhere and budget as usual will limit the choices.

As you say, the CXN has a pre-amp, seens crazy to me to 'double up' by buying a regular integrated.

I would do one of two things;

Either buy a BFO power amplifier, maybe one you can hide away and the passive speaker of choice.

Or, as mentioned above, go active with Adam A7x at the budget end or maybe Dynaudios, though the XEO models duplicate a lot of the functions of the CNX.

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
He's nominated his choices, so everyone should be happy, especially him.

Bang goes your bonus on this one, davedotco :) . Not being serious, by the way.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Kevin Hollingworth said:

Given this latest piece of information, please, please, please, before you buy Dali Zensor 7, B&W 683 S2, or Monitor Audio Silver 8's compare them against AVI actives with a sub.

And then look on ebay for a deal on the speakers of your choice.

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
Have you gone all religious or something? Small speakers can be good, and passive better than active, you don't need house-size behemoths, nor expensive legacy speakers that require a sub ! Let the man choose what he wants, don't whine because you don't agree.

Hallelujah, trust in the lord !

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Kevin Hollingworth said:

Amps I'm not sure on yet. Given the CXN has built in pre-amp there are a number of options.  It may be on audition I'm off the mark and have to rethink however got to start somewhere and budget as usual will limit the choices.
Given this latest piece of information, please, please, please, before you buy Dali Zensor 7, B&W 683 S2, or Monitor Audio Silver 8's compare them against AVI actives with a sub.

And then look on ebay for a deal on the speakers of your choice.

Ja listen to lindsay, you wont be sorry.

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
he's just obsessed at the moment. I doubt he's even heard the equipment being discussed beyond the bake-off seminal experience.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Kevin Hollingworth said:

if it was my choice I would look at the Dali Zensor 7 s . £799 new I think

I would not buy the Cambridge CXN I would go for the Yamaha pre Cx 50 for £299 which is a really good streaming pre amp for the money plus it has a built in dac too and does meany things for a small box solution .

And the rest of the budget I would use in buying a really good amplifier with ... marantz pm8005 £599 , abrahamsen 2up £1000 , Ruskin k3 , £1300 , Yamaha A -S800 not sure what the price is , Yamaha A - S2100 £1600 all good amplifiers with some house power to manage the bass probably with the Dali speakers . Just some ideas

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts