Building a first system

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Everyone. New member to the forum here looking for some help to build their first system!

I was given a Rega RP1 Turntable a month ago and since I still only have my all in one system from my uni-days without any phono input this gave my a perfect opportunity to upgrade and build a proper system to enjoy my music!

I dont have much knowledge of brands and models in the hi-fi world except for what I read in various forums and reviews the last few weeks but I have a keen ear having been in several bands when I was younger and I do want something good that will last a while. At first I looked at the Rega brand with the new Brio -r getting great reviews. As I don't have a lot of experience I though it might be an easy way to get synergy to pair the brio and turntable with Rega's RS3's. The other option (which I am leaning to now) would be to go the second hand route and buy amplifier and speakers on ebay or gumtree. I would be more confortable spending a bit less on amp+speaker since it is my first system. I would say my budget in total would be about £600.

Would anyone care to suggest some models for amplifiers and speakers that would go well with it? I am looking for something very musical and enjoyable rather than being "technically perfect" if that makes sense?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Daniel

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
IMO There is nothing wrong with your thinking, and you could do a lot worse than going all Rega...do go and have a listen though!

unison

Oct 3, 2008
Visit site
I would suggest you include in your budget enough money for a proper hifi shelf for the record deck, or a basic hifi rack

a number of people on the forum are saying the onkyo 8050 has many good qualities as an amp, I wonder if any of them would comment on the phono stage in the 8050?

matthewpiano

At line-level I'd personally say the Onkyo performs every bit as well as the Brio-R (I chose it over the Rega in the end) but the Brio-R does have a better phono stage. The phono stage on the Onkyo is very good and my turntable sounds excellent throughout, but the Brio-R's phono circuit is exceptional for an integrated amplifier as you might reasonably expect from a company who have made their name with turntables.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Are you just looking for an amplifier and speakers or do you need a CD player as well??

Staying with the one box solution....you could look at say the Marantz MCR-603 with either Castle 1 or 2 speakers. I have heard these systems and they are very musical and enjoyable. You could also get streaming and internet radio capability with this as well as a decent phono in for the turntable and USB / DAC connection if you use an iPod at all. this would be slightly over budget at £800 or £700 depending on the speakers. The Marantz is also capable of being used with more expensive speakers in the future if required as well.

I think seperated wise...going Brio-r and RS3 would provide excellet synergy and sound as well.

Alternatively you could look at the Marantz PM6003 amp which also has a good phono stage....possibly paired with the CD6003 if CD is required and speakers of choice.....I used this setup with Castle Richmond speakers and a Rega Planar 3 TT and got excellent results.

T

the record spot

unison said:
I would suggest you include in your budget enough money for a proper hifi shelf for the record deck, or a basic hifi rack

a number of people on the forum are saying the onkyo 8050 has many good qualities as an amp, I wonder if any of them would comment on the phono stage in the 8050?

Like the rest of the amp, the phono stage in the 8050 is good. I've played a few LPs on it now and like what it does. I use vinyl less these days so if that format is important to a potential buyer, then they should really hear the two side by side to decide.

A

Anonymous

Thanks everone for the suggestions so far!

I will definitely try to demo both the Onkyo and the Marantz M-CR603 as well as the rega. Since I use a mac and iTunes / Spotify I think the Marantz has more useful streaming capabilities for me since it has airplay. If I understand it correctly I can't stream from iTunes to the Onkyo? (I dont want to control it from the receiver)

I also already have an airport express so I don't really need to be spending money on the streaming features although the Marantz looks like a very neat system...

I might get a cd-player later but mainly I will be listening from Vinyl or computer streamed, so maybe a useful later addition could be a dac? For now amplifier + speakers is the main thing.

If I would go for the Marantz I would have to add a separate phono pre-amp. How much would a decent model cost?

Would I get better sound for my money going with a second hand amplifier without any extra streaming functions?

For example an old Nad/Arcam/Pioneer that seems to be readily available at auction sites?

Many thanks!

TRENDING THREADS