Budget turntables - are What Hifi having a laugh,

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
any secondhand turntable., it is a turntable which is not hifi therefore should not be recommended as such. Would you put one in you system? Remember, this is about hifi, not dansette (which would probably be a better option). The chinese make some great turntables, but this is cheap plastic junk.

avole said:
The Lenco L85??? It's plastic junk. Would anyone seriously connect it to their hifi?

If you think that's bad look at latest news of a package. Turntable in a case and twenty albums for £160?

Now I realise why they're called [font="ProximaNova-Semibold, arial, verdana, sans-serif"]What​ hifi! :)[/font]

avole said:
any secondhand turntable., it is a turntable which is not hifi therefore should not be recommended as such. Would you put one in you system? Remember, this is about hifi, not dansette (which would probably be a better option). The chinese make some great turntables, but this is cheap plastic junk.

Made by a company that has been making turntables for decades.

You have to realise this is going to be bought, in numbers, by people who don't want to spend more than £150 and don't have a clue as to how to set up a turntable. Hifi it may not be but that's not going to matter to them. Ideal buy then?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
avole said:
any secondhand turntable.

Can't exactly recommend a second hand turntable can they. I guess you don't have an answer as to which new turntable betters it for same price? I'm not deliberately setting you up for a fail, or try to be awkward. I haven't heard it. But if it's the best available at that price, is that such a bad thing? Especially for those who will not spend more.

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
This is a company that bought the name. They have no connection whatsoever with the classic Lencos, the L7x series.

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
avole said:
any secondhand turntable.

Can't exactly recommend a second hand turntable can they. I guess you don't have an answer as to which new turntable betters it for same price? I'm not deliberately setting you up for a fail, or try to be awkward. I haven't heard it. But if it's the best available at that price, is that such a bad thing? Especially for those who will not spend more.
Sorry, this is about Hifi, don't forget. These things aren't. Your old Dansette is better.

Also, you may not have noticed, but turntables don't come cheap. Any CD, DVD or digital player will be cheaper and sound way better at this and several price points higher. There is no point recommending things at this level, the sound is dire, and you are wasting your money.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I do see your point, but it's all relative. There are people on here who will happily tell you don't bother buying any turntable this side of a grand or thereabouts, and anything less than that isn't HiFi. I hear what you say about comparing with any digital players at the same price though. But I think that goes for most prices tbh. You can't ever fully overcome the limitations of records. But some people do prefer the sound of records, which is fair play by me. The distortion they introduce is pleasurable to vinyl lovers' ears, and they love the tactility.

Matte

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
avole said:
The Lenco L85??? It's plastic junk. Would anyone seriously connect it to their hifi?

With respect to WHFSAV, it's not a high end mag and appeals to the mass market.

The mass market might want a heads up to a cheap, and good for the money TT.

WHFSAV have put caveats on the review, so I think that's fair.

Are just an attempt to cash in on the vinyl revival.

they are easy to ignore, same as any other cheap low-fi that will be in cash converters window in three months time.

I don't think there are many forum users that would reccomend buying anything like this for good reason.

as for the mag reviewing it. They should review budget gear as well as high end.

Im not gonna buy either, but it's nice to know what's out there.

marou said:
This is the magazine which has just given Apple Music 5 stars for sound quality

And your point is?

Apart from the fact this is the wrong section to discuss it, reviews are purely that , just one person's opinion.

Do you have a problem with Apple Music? If so suggest you post about it where it matters.

marou

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, are you a moderator? My post remarking on the quality of WHF reviews seems pretty relevant but even if it weren't who are you to tell me where and what to post?

marou said:
Sorry, are you a moderator? My post remarking on the quality of WHF reviews seems pretty relevant but even if it weren't who are you to tell me where and what to post?

No, but I am someone who's been on here along enough to work out where to post comments.

You are, of course, free to post whatever you like, it's often better to post in the right place I find . And this isn't it.

TRENDING THREADS