Budget Turntable advice, Denon DP29F vs Audio Technica LP60X

TK311

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Hi guys,

I was looking at getting into vinyls and to start off with get a budget/low-end turntable and after reading reviews, and considering local stock, narrowed it down to these two options. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience/knows more about turntables and can tell me if in their personal experience/knowledge, which one is perceivably better sound quality wise. I know at this level "better" wont get me far, but would rather start off with the better one of the two.

Thanks in advance!

It's going to depend on the rest of your system and what you are attaching the turntable to.
The Denon has an inbuilt phono preamp that you may not require.
Based purely on the fact Audio Technica make their own cartridges I would go for that one out of the two.

Reactions: TK311

TK311

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
If the budget is already stretched for buying a decent record player starting collecting LPs may not be the best thing to do. To get decent sound from expensive vinyl records you need to invest quite a bit of money. Records don't come cheap.

I inherited a lot of my dad's old vinyls so wanted to get something to listen to them.He's sadly sold his record player a while ago, he had a Pro-Ject, and I don't think my ears will be able to discern between a $2,000 Rega and a $200 Denon/AT. It's mainly to listen to the existing collection.

The setup im running off is basically some good old B&W DM603 S2 floor speakers and a unbranded tube amp, so i dont think it's capable of getting the best out of a better record player anyhow.

2nd hand project or rega or anyTechnics / japanese TT

Funny you say this, my friend found a Marantz 6170 turntable with the power cables and output cables cut and no cartridge. I took it off his hands and its sitting on my table. I fixed the power cable and output cable and turned it on, all the lights come on and the platter spins, but for the cost of a decent cartridge, and the gamble there isnt something else wrong/missing with this turntable as I have no idea what im looking at, seems lower risk to just buy the AT/Denon and not fiddle with it too much.

It's going to depend on the rest of your system and what you are attaching the turntable to.
The Denon has an inbuilt phono preamp that you may not require.
Based purely on the fact Audio Technica make their own cartridges I would go for that one out of the two.

Definitely would need a phono pre-amp as my receiver does not have a phono input. However, I went to the store last night and saw a Audio Technica LP3 which looked/felt a lot better than the LP60X albeit at a slightly higher premium

Last edited:
Reactions: Al ears
This (LP3) from dealer is probably the best way forward if you are unsure about turntable set-up.
Remember the albums might need a clean before playing if they have not been used in a while.
I might suggest you look at a cheap carbon fibre brush at least for this purpose.

Reactions: TK311

TK311

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
This (LP3) from dealer is probably the best way forward if you are unsure about turntable set-up.
Remember the albums might need a clean before playing if they have not been used in a while.
I might suggest you look at a cheap carbon fibre brush at least for this purpose.

Thanks for the help! Went back and got the LP3. Wasn't as "weighty" as it looks but the sound quality through the Mullard tubes and the B&W speakers are unlike anything ive heard (may also just be placebo haha)!

I went and bought a recent release on LP for about $50 just so I've got something to play that's new and not potentially worn out. I think i've been sucked into a vicious cycle. Already looking at what LP to buy next.

Also got a Pro-Ject Brush It brush for relatively cheap

Last edited:
Thanks for the help! Went back and got the LP3. Wasn't as "weighty" as it looks but the sound quality through the Mullard tubes and the B&W speakers are unlike anything ive heard (may also just be placebo haha)!

I went and bought a recent release on LP for about $50 just so I've got something to play that's new and not potentially worn out. I think i've been sucked into a vicious cycle. Already looking at what LP to buy next.

Also got a Pro-Ject Brush It brush for relatively cheap
You are now on a slow slide to financial ruin....... , enjoy! :cool:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts