Question Budget stereo hifi amplifier

notcricri

Nov 26, 2020
Visit site
Hello all,

Hope you are going well.

I am looking for a budget stereo hifi amplifier (around 600$/600€).
I need your help :)

My listening room is 161ft² (15m²) .
My configuration is simple:
  • Speakers: Cabasse MT22 Antigua (75W, 8 ohms)
  • Turntable: Technics SL-1700
  • Need to connect a TV (RCA is fine)
I have made a short list of amplifiers, and would like to have your advice/feedback if you own one please 🤗:

If the amplifier does not supply it, I will certainly invest in an external DAC (Justboom/Hifiberry) to add decoding and streaming capabilities (using Volumio).

Can you please help me decide which one would be the best for me?

Thank you!

Christophe

Attachments

• ampli2.jpg
    ampli2.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

matthewpiano

I'm not familiar with your Cabasse speakers - they're a good manufacturer but they don't get much attention here in the UK.

Looking at the amplifiers you've listed I'd veer towards the Marantz, Denon and Audiolab options, though if your speakers are on the bright side you may find the warmth of the NAD works quite well with them. It's well worth considering the Rotel A11 Tribute - an extremely capable amplifier.

iMark

In this day and age I would try to future proof equipment as much as possible. You may not be thinking of streaming options now but it's nice to know that you could do it without buying a new box. Network receivers are very good value for money and offer any analogue and digital inputs you could possibly need. They also have good phono stages and DACs.

Reactions: notcricri

notcricri

Nov 26, 2020
Visit site
In this day and age I would try to future proof equipment as much as possible. You may not be thinking of streaming options now but it's nice to know that you could do it without buying a new box. Network receivers are very good value for money and offer any analogue and digital inputs you could possibly need. They also have good phono stages and DACs.

You're right! I also had a look at this one (Marantz NR-1200), less audiophile but more versatile:

Reactions: Kpierce

rainsoothe

You're right! I also had a look at this one (Marantz NR-1200), less audiophile but more versatile:
I think that your initial idea of keeping the source and amplification separate is better, and something like a Volumio or HiFi Berry would be very versatile. Because the streaming technology changes pretty fast, so with an integrated solution you will be stuck with the 2020 technology. But a good amp can last decades and never be out of date, and you can just change or upgrade your streamer.

I'm wary about statements that suggest a given manufacturer should be dismissed because of 'reliability issues', as few of us have experience of a large enough sample to be representative. And amps have almost no moving parts, which means they tend to be among the most long-lived of separates.

But then I remembered that the only amp I know of which failed was a NAD...

Reactions: notcricri

notcricri

Nov 26, 2020
Visit site
Thank you for your responses!
I think I will go with Marantz then, Denon seems more balanced but less tone coloured.
And model PM6007 recently received an award from What Hi-fi :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts