Budget speakers for Denon M40

Hi,

I got the Denon M40 DAB as a part of a deal, I am now looking to add inexpensive bookshelf speakers and put it in the kid's room. (It's a shame there is no wireless connectivity, but it would seem Chromecast Audio solves that easily.)

I am looking for a pair of budget speakers around the 100 GBP mark to complete the little system. Denon's own matching SC-M40 seem like a good fit, of course, but are they any good and are there any alternatives in the same bracket that I should consider?

Thanks for any suggestions.

damonster

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
The Q acoustics 2010i can be had for £80 at Richer sounds . Sounded pretty good with the Denon m40. Took my dad to audition both just after Christmas. He was well impressed and now has them setup in his art studio. Try and demo them first and see what you think.

matthewpiano

Johan De Silva said:
Denon make Mission speakers. As speakers contain no real electronics some second hands ones of ebay for under fifty will also sound wounderful though not as pretty. Some 731, 771, 700 or any from as old as the 80's.
No, Denon don't make Mission speakers. Denon have had some of their own speakers made for them by Mission. They do tend to be a good match however, the only issue these days being that Mission quality control is variable. Mission speakers are made by IAG in China who produce everything in-house and also make Quad, Audiolab, Castle, and Wharfedale. Previously Missions were made in the UK, though that was a long time ago now.

matthewpiano said:
Previously Missions were made in the UK, though that was a long time ago now.
Thanks for the update - there apears to be allot of Brand buying had gone on and I am only now getting back into Music. I had an very old pair of Mission I gave my brother. They looked like Darth Vaders helmet but they were incredibly fast making Merantz go some way to sound more like a NAD.

When it comes to budget speakers old Jap and British brands second hand are recommended. I find new speakers are hit and miss and rely on a subwoofer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts