Budget Speakers for Cambridge Audio 540A V2

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Now on the hunt for some new speakers to replace my old Panasonics. I have an Cambridge Audio 540A V2 amp and I listen to mostly rock music.

I have read about two speakers in particular and would like to hear your opinions?

The speakers are - Tannoy Mercury F1 Custom which I've seen for 89.95 delivered (highly rated on this site) or Wharfedale Diamond 9.1's for 129.00 delivered. I am open to suggestions and do you also think the Wharfedale's justify the extra 40 quid?

Thankkks xo

A

Anonymous

The Wharfedale's justify the extra money. They are excellent speakers for the money.

A

Anonymous

Do you think they will function well with the amp? And perform well with my music taste?

I know its hard to say but I value your opinions!

Thanks, Lee - newbie

A

Anonymous

Yes, go for the Wharfedale between the two, or look for a used MA BR2's for the same money (my personal favourite).

A

Anonymous

EvilWolf:Yes, go for the Wharfedale between the two, or look for a used MA BR2's for the same money (my personal favourite).

I have to agree. BR2s and the CA 540 make a cracking partnership. Try not to skimp on the cable though.

A

Anonymous

The BR2's are quite a bit more then I wanted to spend - £130 at an absolute maximum I was hoping.

On the speaker cable issue; I've already a pair of QED Silver Anniversery XT speaker cable which is hopefully sufficient.

Thanks, and if anyone can suggest where I could get the BR2's for around the £130 I would love to hear where from!

Thanks again

A

Anonymous

Do you guys really think the BR2's are worth £70 extra than the Wharfedale's? If theres that much of an improvement I guess I can stretch the budget...maybe =D

A

Anonymous

Theres always a chance they will come up on ebay...just checked but there arent any there at the moment. Just a case of how long you want to wait for the chance. It may be a long wait, if other owners like them as much as me they wont be selling them in a hurry. You are prepared to go the extra for the Wharfedales....is there any chance you could go just that little bit more for the BR2s. Save up for a month or 10.....It'll be worth it. When you think about it, you have a £200+ amp, wouldnt it be reasonable to partner them with £200 speakers?

Your cable sounds fine and well up to the job.

A

Anonymous

I guess so, you make a valid point! If this pairing is really "cracking" I will probably take the plunge on Thursday and live off air :D.

Just going to have a look if SevenoaksSAV stock these speakers, if they do, do you know if they price match? Cheers again !

A

Anonymous

Blunny89:How much did you pay? You think they'll price match?

199.00 a couple of months ago. Dont know if they will price match but I couldnt find them cheaper, once you add P&P it goes up even more so maybe best to buy locally.

A

Anonymous

Ah, thanks again - I may take a trip to my local SSAV on Monday or Tuesday :)

Lee

A

Anonymous

imo speakers leave there signature on your sounds more than any other part. Im not talking fine detail here though, im talking over all presentation. I can't see how any £100ish bookshelf speakers could 'rock'

A £100 amp through £200 speakers can rock, but not the other way around.

You will be much happyer if you dont get the most budget of speakers available. Im sure of it. Leave the little wharfs for surround sound systems and midi systems, its where they belong.

A

Anonymous

I've tried the Tannoy's with my 540 amp and they're superb - haven't heard the Wharfedale's so can't comment on them. Really for £90 quid you can't go wrong no need for new cables either.

Nadeac

Jul 6, 2008
Visit site
U could go for something inbetween price wise u can get Mordaunt short 902i delivered for a £100 been thinking of upgradeing to a pair of them to replace my 4/ month old 1010is

But it would be nice to know if they would make any difference before buying ,i should of bought them or a set of bigger bookshelf speakers to begin with!

Mark

coolaboola

Sep 19, 2008
Visit site
I hooked up my dads wharfedale 9.1 to my c.a 540amp and found them a huge jump up from my tannoy (albeit non custom) f1.When I went to my hi fi store to buy a pair I ended up walking away with monitor audio rs1.Highly recommend the 9.1 though

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
The Monitor Audios are fine but I'd say save yourself £180 or so, buy a pair of Mordaunt Short MS20i's for twenty quid of ebay. Better speakers all round. More detail, more drive. I doubt there is a speaker under £200 today that will be better. Then add a good sub for the rest.

A

Anonymous

raym87:So what happened. I am interested to know how you got on.

Sorry for the belated reply, kind of lost track of the post. I ended up going for the BR2's and they are such a step up in terms of my old Panasonic's (which I got as a freebie) and I'm chuffed with them.

Next step is to add a DACMagic, thanks for all your help dudes, all your suggestions were grrreat'!

A

Anonymous

Hi mate I have not heard the Tannoys but have heard both the Wharfedale's and the BR2's and I have to agree with what the others have been saying, the BR2's are fantastic speakers and in my opinion are a step or two above the wharfedales you definitely will not be disappointed at all. I know they are more expensive which is annoying but some things are worth that extra expense.

TRENDING THREADS