Budget phono cartridge

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've recently unpacked my 37 year old Technics 1500 SL turntable. Unfortunately my equally old AKG ZLM and Shure V14RS haven't aged well and have had suspension failures leaving me with a Sony VL 7E.Not a bad cartridge but due to its age I want to purchase reasonably priced cart, say less than $150 US. I'm thinking Denon 110. Any thoughts? Will it be an ok match for the S shaped tone arm?

T

the record spot

Not sure on the capabilities on this deck, but Denon DL110 would be good, as would Audio Technica AT110E (I know a couple of people who use this cart on high end decks from time to time).

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
AT-110E has been discontinued unfortunately.

Probable options are DL-110 (as long as your turntable platter isn't steel. I think the SL1500 has an alloy platter), AT-120E and Ortofon 2M Red.

*EDIT* As to compatibility with an S-Shaped arm, I've used the DL-110 in my PL-12d with really good results, and this has the same SME cartridge mount as your SL.

The DL-110 is the warmest, with the 2M at the more analytical (brighter) end. The AT is somewhere in between. Look for around £75 for any of them.

The Grados are another option, but I can't vouch for them having not heard them...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts