Budget Interconnect

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
At the risk of starting a debate over whether cables have benefits etc, can anyone recommend, if necessary, I should change my 10 year old Ixos 102 interconnects with something else; maybe the Chord Company Cobra, or Atlas Equator Mk2, or maybe DNM? I am getting some Rothwell Attenuators so the terminations will have to be slim to fit. Thanks.

A

Anonymous

Hi Matt
Always get demo before you buy.
Chord will be able to let you have a demo pair.
I think you get diminshing returns the more you spend on interconnects. Main cables make the biggest difference (ducks for cover!).
http://whathifi.com/forums/t/7839.aspx?PageIndex=1

A

Anonymous

If i were you i would check out the Van Den Hul D102 MkIII cable - try picking one up 2nd hand it shouldnt cost you more than 40-50GBP and represents excellent value. i have one of these cables myself and am extremely happy with it. i know that a few others on here also have this cable and are also pleased with it. there are a couple on ebay at the mo.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I've got the Chord Cobra and have just bought cables from Gotham (ebay) after reading Thaiman waxing lyrically about them. I have not done an out and out test but on first listening, I could not tell much difference - Gotham cost £16 inc delivery.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="amarocknrollstar"]
Check out this link for Seduction Audio's stuff:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Seduction-Studio

These always come up for auctiona and you can bag a bargain - sometimes only paying a pound or so.
[/quote]

I would personally avoid the above as their interconnect terminations have a nasty habit of pulling off, (I bought a batch of four when bored one day for peanuts, with two of them being poorly made). However that said, the one with the plastic terminations was the best of the batch. Try Gotham off Ebay which I find decent interconnect and good value and at £12.50 if you don't like it, its not broken the bank.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I'd also avoid the van den Hul recommendation unless you feel your system is sounding a little bright/spiky - they are excellent cables, but in our experience are best as a taming factor rather than a transparent facilitator.

Chord Crimson is our recommended all-rounder budget interconnect.

amarocknrollstar

Feb 27, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="simonkee"][quote user="amarocknrollstar"]

These always come up for auctiona and you can bag a bargain - sometimes only paying a pound or so.

[/quote] I would personally avoid the above as their interconnect terminations have a nasty habit of pulling off, (I bought a batch of four when bored one day for peanuts, with two of them being poorly made). However that said, the one with the plastic terminations was the best of the batch. Try Gotham off Ebay which I find decent interconnect and good value and at £12.50 if you don't like it, its not broken the bank.[/quote]

Strange mate - I've a few of these and never experienced this problem. Have experienced it with Cambridge interconnects though which brings a valid point - All Cambridge Audio interconnects come with a lifetime guarantee! Worth considering. The only problem I am aware of with Seduction Audio is the guy's attitude. Got a bit of an anger management issue.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="amarocknrollstar"]Could be Andrew - or maybe he's just a w**k*r?[/quote]

You may say that - I couldn't possibly comment, not even in my 4000th post.

amarocknrollstar

Feb 27, 2008
Visit site
Lol, congratulations on your milestone Andrew. Have a beer on me.
emotion-22.gif

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="simonkee"][quote user="amarocknrollstar"]

[/quote] I would personally avoid the above as their interconnect terminations have a nasty habit of pulling off, (I bought a batch of four when bored one day for peanuts, with two of them being poorly made). [/quote]

Same experienced here

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
They look cheaply made. The Gotham I'm using has the same feel as the Crimson mentioned by Clare. I had Crimson for a short time and then bought the Cobra as I needed a longer cable and there was hardly a difference in price. I would imagine that decent cables like these are fairly similar and it's not until you go £100 plus that you hear a major difference and only when the rest of your set up is worthy.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="heystak"]
[/quote]

How do you get a demo pair exactly:

A

Anonymous

[quote user="ssvirk"][quote user="heystak"]

[/quote]

How do you get a demo pair exactly:
[/quote]

I emailed chord and they just pointed me in direction of local dealers.
So I think you have to speak nicely to your local chord stockist.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts