High quality interconnect to power amp too? Need a new one then!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello, your help much appreciated...

Does the integrated to power amp interconnect need to be the same as you'd use on a cd connection? It's only feeding the bass part of the bi-amping, isn't it?... so isn't that omni-directional and any bog standard interconnect will do? I have drawers full of them.

After a long time thinking of upgrading, I took the plunge on a used Tag McLaren set up. I'm very happy but am wondering if I'm losing out now with the previous system interconnects?

I have two higher quality interconnects, using Chord Cobra (original!) and Atlas Equator (old version not sure which). Equator between integrated amp and power amp, Cobra between cd and streamer.

If I'm wrong about the integrated to power amp scenario, I'll need a third interconnect as I'm currently swapping between cd and streamer, which is annoying.

System is Tag 60i and 60P with Tag CD20R, Kef Reference 2.2's and a CA StreamMagic 6 streamer. Interconnects as above.

Thanks very much in advance!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
IMO. There are no hard and fast rules on this, and the people who don't believe in the benefits of I/Cs will tell you it will make no difference.

As far as I'm concerned, the best i/c should go from your source....a better i/c will improve matters between the amps, but hasn't quite as big effect.

I believe the i/c carries the full stereo signal, but it's just the bass part that is separated at the crossover. The quality of the bass is imo effected a bit by the i/c (but more by the amp), and I think I am right in saying that it is only the sub-bass that is omni-directional.

So to sum up, use the best I/Cs you can afford (within reason), with the better one for the source if there is a difference.

A

Anonymous

All comments make sense, thanks!

I might try some swaps and borrow some I/C's then.

Anyone got a Chord Signature lying around ?
smiley-laughing.gif

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I personally believe you should use the same I/C between source/amp & amp/power amp. I ditched my old I/C when I got my power amp and bought two pairs to replace it.

I wouldn't want any tonal variations or gain level differences between the two amps, however slight.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts