Budget HiFi System

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone, need some help from some experts so thought id come here to ask a few questions on buying a completely new HiFi setup.

Firstly im a student so upgrading when money becomes available. Not wanting to spend LOADS of money but i know i want something that will last and sound pretty good.

My needs are only to play an Ipod and Vinyl, so no CD or Radio needed.

Needing to know weather or not my research makes sense and will work together.

1) Amp (max £150 ish) am i right in thinking for this price, the CA Azur 340 A SE?

2) speakers (£150 ish) Ive researched and a regular recommendation are the wharfedale 9.1 (£100) is it worth spending more for the Q acoustic 2020is, or an extra hundred and fifty pounds to get the Moniter Audio bx2?

3) Turntable, Open to suggestions again upto £150, what would work well with the above etc.

Thanks for any help! :)

matthewpiano

The Diamond 9.1s are superb speakers and, IMO, still haven't been surpassed under £250. They have a wonderfully open and natural sound with good secure soundstaging and dynamic ability. They do really benefit from bi-wiring but a decent multi-strand copper cable is fine.

The extra money you would spend buying BX2s instead would be better spent on buying a better amp. The Marantz PM6004 would be a good buy as it includes a very decent phono stage.

ReValveiT

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
HUGE +1 on the 9.1s. Amazing speakers and I absolutely adore mine.

I've been through some speakers in my time - high mid and low end, and the Diamonds are my firm fave. Incredible for £100 brand new.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that, think ill get the 9.1's then.

The Marantz PM6004's a little out of my price range. Is the 5004 a suitable cheaper one (better that the CA one mentioned before) as its £100 cheaper?

A

Anonymous

The 6003's are hard to find, ill keep my look out though! If not I might opt for the CA azur 350A instead.

So with either amp and the wharfedale 9.1's (Already bought :) ) looking at turntables next:

Will i need a pre-amp as i did on my previous terrible HiFi?

Thinking of stretching to a project Debut S3 or genie 3? Are there better ones at this price?

Thanks again

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
The Diamond 9.1s are superb speakers and, IMO, still haven't been surpassed under £250. They have a wonderfully open and natural sound with good secure soundstaging and dynamic ability. They do really benefit from bi-wiring but a decent multi-strand copper cable is fine.

The extra money you would spend buying BX2s instead would be better spent on buying a better amp. The Marantz PM6004 would be a good buy as it includes a very decent phono stage.
Agreed, may I also suggest to the OP that if you don't want to go for biwiring you can replace the biwire links with speaker cables. The cheapest upgrade you will ever hear, big claims I know but they worked great for me numerous times.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts