Budget Hi Res audio streamer with chromecast built-in

walter013

Feb 24, 2021
Visit site
Hi, I want to cast Hi Res audio from Qobuz to my Marantz PM 6006 (optical). I had a Chromecast Audio but it stutters on the Hi Res audio. I tried Bluesound Node i2 & Audiolab 6000N. But I just want to cast from the Qobuz app from my phone not through an app of the audio streamer. I just can't find a good not to expensive solution.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Walter

superhans

Oct 19, 2020
Visit site
I'm in the same position. When you 'budget' - how much do you have to spend?
The only streamer I know off that meets your needs - Cambridge CXN V2 @ £800 (not exactly budget I know)
You could use the NVIDIA shield pro ? - I have this hooked up to my external DAC over USB Audio - Sounds good when casting Qobuz to it from the native app on my phone. Bit of a waste though if only used for 'USB audio'
I also have a Chromecast Audio hooked up to the same DAC over Toslink. It plays Hi-Res (96khz max) no problem. Very rarely does it stutter. The NVIDIA plays up to 192khz with no stutters but my ears can't tell the difference between the upper sample rates. Most of the time I use the CCA as my preferred transport.

walter013

Feb 24, 2021
Visit site
The only streamer I know off that meets your needs - Cambridge CXN V2 @ £800 (not exactly budget I know)
You could use the NVIDIA shield pro ? - I have this hooked up to my external DAC over USB Audio - Sounds good when casting Qobuz to it from the native app on my phone. Bit of a waste though if only used for 'USB audio'
I also have a Chromecast Audio hooked up to the same DAC over Toslink. It plays Hi-Res (96khz max) no problem. Very rarely does it stutter. The NVIDIA plays up to 192khz with no stutters but my ears can't tell the difference between the upper sample rates. Most of the time I use the CCA as my preferred transport.

Thanks for the info. The Cambridge CXN V2 is out of my budget, max budget is around 500 euro's. If the chromecast audio would have worked it would be great, rather spend my money on a new dac. But when it was playing for sometime it stuttered more times in every track. I just would prefer a simpel chromecast built-in hi res audio streamer with a ethernet cable connection. I cannot find it, maybe it just doesn't exists.

superhans

Oct 19, 2020
Visit site
"I just would prefer a simpel chromecast built-in hi res audio streamer with a ethernet cable connection. I cannot find it, maybe it just doesn't exists. "

The NVIDIA shield has all of that and under 200 euros. You need to hook up over HDMI to your TV to do the initial config, but after that you can cast away to it. I have mine connected to the Loxjie D30 DAC.
Might be daft question - When casting to your CCA - in the Qobuz App have you set streaming to max 24/96 ? The CCA does not support 192 so you have to set the app to match what CCA can handle. If the app is not set - major stuttering ( I just tried mine)
I'll try my NVIDIA later tonight - just to check correct sample rates shown on the DAC (I don't use it very often)

walter013

Feb 24, 2021
Visit site
"I just would prefer a simpel chromecast built-in hi res audio streamer with a ethernet cable connection. I cannot find it, maybe it just doesn't exists. "

The NVIDIA shield has all of that and under 200 euros. You need to hook up over HDMI to your TV to do the initial config, but after that you can cast away to it. I have mine connected to the Loxjie D30 DAC.
Might be daft question - When casting to your CCA - in the Qobuz App have you set streaming to max 24/96 ? The CCA does not support 192 so you have to set the app to match what CCA can handle. If the app is not set - major stuttering ( I just tried mine)
I'll try my NVIDIA later tonight - just to check correct sample rates shown on the DAC (I don't use it very often)

Do you connect the NVIDIA shield with usb to your DAC?

That's a good one about the 192 and the chromecast audio :) I'll try if that solves the problem. How often do you get any stuttering when it's on 96 kHz?

superhans

Oct 19, 2020
Visit site
Do you connect the NVIDIA shield with usb to your DAC? - Yes. No performance issues when streaming at 24/192

That's a good one about the 192 and the chromecast audio :) I'll try if that solves the problem. How often do you get any stuttering when it's on 96 kHz? - Almost never. When it does, a quick reboot of the CCA fixes it. When I first signed up for Qobuz, happened a lot, till I went in the app settings and took it down to the 24/96 sample rate.

Bas van Heel

Mar 6, 2021
Visit site
If used in a home theater amp with HDMI a Chromecast ultra has wired connection.. plug in the amp and tv not required to use the tv.
Stream with Chromecast on the Dac of your amp.. no stutter of poor wifi.. has more memory and faster chip.. no stutter.. used here for streaming stadia and Netflix over hardwire.. never stutters and plays 24/192 no problem

TRENDING THREADS