Budget Freesat TV - Sony or Panasonic

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello to all..... new here and would appreciate some advice if you could.

Been itching to upgrade the 32v4000 (which has been an excelent little bargain) for a while now.

I'll probably end up getting a 50' 2010 model at some point in future when there is more standard HD programmes and prices calm. But for moment i'm looking for a budget Freesat TV to cover HD for the world cup.

Got around £700. Viewing will be built in Freesat / Freeview (getting rid of Sky), plus lots of PS3 and Blurays.

Looking at the Sony 40W5810 @£699, or the Pana 42G10 @ £700. Whats people's thoughts on these??

Also I live in flat with a shared Sky dish, will Freesat HD work through this???

A

Anonymous

either one of those two tvs would be a good buy at those prices , it doesnt matter that you share a dish , you just need a cable from it to the tv and your in business ..

A

Anonymous

Thank Max, Guess I'll go with whatever i can find cheapest. So both have the same level performance?

Do you know if Freesat HD channels differ in qaulity to the same ones through Sky HD? I was going to upgrade to Sky HD, but realised that I'd only really be paying for the Footy and it didnt seem worth it if i can get the other channels free via a freesat tv.

A

Anonymous

theres only bbc hd and a red button service for itv hd , id assume either would look the same on sky , both tvs are great for sports , the sonys motionflow is very good , the same for the panny , also ideal for sports , i have a g10 so im biased but i think its better for watching movies in the dark than an lcd ,more natural pic and better shadow detail in dark movie scenes ..

the standard def on the sony may be a touch better , but i wouldnt think theres much in it , and the sony would be a better choice if you watch tv in a bright room , although if its for family use , not everyone will be able to watch head on , in the sweet spot , a plasma has no viewing angle problems..

if you do opt for the sony , make sure the seller agrees to a no quibble money back guarantee if you find the tv has any clouding , uneven backlight , this can affect some sonys , and can be a nuisance with the room lights dimmed ..

robjcooper

Sep 29, 2008
Visit site
As BBC and ITV are the only broadcasters here in the UK allowed to show World Cup matches, then if that is your main reason for buying the set then Freesat should suffice.

What about the LG 47LF7700 which I seem to remember got a cracking review from the guys at What Hi-Fi towers? £699 from those lovely folk at Richer Sounds too, and although I'm not a great fan of LCD (cue stoning scene from Life of Brian) I was quite impressed with it when I saw it in my local John Lewis.

A

Anonymous

tvspecv:new kuro level panny available at sound and vision Panasonic TX-P42G20B (TXP42G20)na , excellent though the g20 promises to be , its not got the kuro tech , for that you need the v20 , vt20 ..

A

Anonymous

Right think i'll go for the sony over Panasonic if it has better SD.

How much better is the sony compared to the the cheaper LCD's though, the Samsung LE40B551 for £499 looks tempting.

A

Anonymous

Was set on the Sony but i've read a few more reviews and have been put off by many people saying the backlight lets these sets down.

Interested in the LG 47LF7700, does anyone have one or know if it is any good for sports and gaming??

My viewing distance is 8-9 feet, is this too close for a budget 47" TV?

A

Anonymous

no , 8-9ft would be fine , the sony backlight is not a problem unless you get a faulty set , in which case you can return it , the sony or panasonic would be better than said lg imo , but the lg is certainly attractive , given its price ..

if sports and gaming is your priority , consider a panasonic g10 -g20 ...

A

Anonymous

I compared Pana 37G10 (but LCD) with Sony 37W5810 as those were my finalists (based on price and specs). Both are around 600 pounds but Sony comes with 3 year warranty (until end of March). As much as I was biased in favour of Pana, I ended up ordering the Sony as it was a bit cheaper (570 for Sony with 3yr wr vs 660 for Pana with 5 yr). Overall I thought they were very very close, but looking at them side by side at a store, Pana looked a bit flat and dull (plasma Pana could be different). As the reviews point out, G10 LCDs lack a bit in the blacks department.

I think either way you won't go wrong.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts