Budget distribution for a system

sodracir

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi all.

I would like to hear your opinions on this subject. It seems for what I usually see in people's comments (and even the proposed systems in WhatHiFi follow this rule) that in a three pieces system (CD player, amp and speakers) all the components should be in the same price range.

I'm far from being a Hi-Fi expert, but my little knowledge and experience tells me that speakers have the biggest impact in the sonic result, then the amplifier and last (and least) the CD player.

So, I'm considering that a different budget distribution (1-2-3 instead of 2-2-2) would be better. For example, taking the midrange system proposed by WhatHiFi (Audiolab 8200 CD, Roksan Kandy K2 and Tannoy Revolution DC6T) I would change the CD by a, say, Marantz CD6004 and the speakers by a pair of ProAc Studio 140, for example.

Of course, the matching would be wrong, and there could be better options for the money, my proposal is just an example, but the idea is having components of different "levels" in one system versus having components of the same "level". What do you think is better?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
There is some good comment here: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/buying-hi-fi-components-allocation-of-budgeted-amount-to-each-separate

Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
The other thing to consider is, are you in a position whereby you want to settle on a particular 'balanced' set-up for the forseeable future, or are you looking longer-term through upgrading individual components and maybe considering financial/sonic compromises in the short-term?

Currently listening to: Frank Zappa - Tinsel Town Rebellion

A

Anonymous

sodracir said:
I'm far from being a Hi-Fi expert, but my little knowledge and experience tells me that speakers have the biggest impact in the sonic result, then the amplifier and last (and least) the CD player. So, I'm considering that a different budget distribution (1-2-3 instead of 2-2-2) would be better.

What I'm going to say should be taken as "old school" theory. (Has to do with my age...;) ) What follows I've learned from a very dedicated audio equipment ("hi-fi"- he didn't like) dealer and music lover.

The theory is called: Garbage in = garbage out.

Take care that the beginning of the chain, your source, is the best you can afford. Spend some 50% of your budget here. (This was for vinyl and eventually
smiley-wink.gif
a cd player) Don't feed your amplifier with "garbage".

Take care that the amplifier is as neutral as possible. Spend here about 25 - 30%

Choose matching speakers and if standmounts of course stands. Rest of the budget....

Very surprising was how great relatively cheap speakers can sound when fed by a good source through good amplification.

Of course you don't need to spend half of your budget on the source, when you dont have vinyl, but still: Take care that the source and amplification are GOOD, yes, written in capitals!

Because: The very best loudspeakers are never able to make something good out of a signal that is bad.... What isn't there they can't reproduce and speakers with distortion filters I didn't find yet. :cry:

But as I said.. it's old school theory. For me it still works :rockout: , maybe for you too?

A

Anonymous

Please look into dacs, ripping your cd's to lossless.

CD players have become pointless in my opinion.

If you have room, I think you wlll prefer floorstanders if you want that scale slam and excitement.

If you set aside 200.00 for the dac and optical

300.00-500.00 ish for the speakers

You can pick up a second hand roksan kandy k2 with warranty transferable for 500.00, creek evo is available for 300.00 if you can get it, so probably again, up to 500.00 ish

Thanks to dac's, speakers and amp will be the most costly, but this is just my opinion

A

Anonymous

noogle said:
Definitely souce first. Musical information is only ever lost as you go downstream. My vote is 3-2-1.

Aha.... noogle will be about my age... :rofl:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
AnalogEars said:
noogle said:
Definitely souce first. Musical information is only ever lost as you go downstream. My vote is 3-2-1.

Aha.... noogle will be about my age... :rofl:

AE, count me in as well. I think the rules apply more to TTs, but the source still has a big effect, and the better the system, the more this is highlighted.

Things are skewed a bit more where Streamers are concerned....eg. There are those who think the humble Linn Sneaky DS competes, or even betters the mighty CD12. I think it betters the old Akurate.

Anyway, its good to have another "old timer" on board.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts