Budget DAC for use with iPod

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
I have an iPod classic, and am looking to use it as an occasional source for my hifi. I have bought the Pure i20 dock, and am currently using the analogue output into my amplifier. However, the Pure will also output digital, and it is tempting to look into a better DAC. I still have an old Arcam Black Box 1 in a cupboard somewhere, but that is pretty ancient and I suspect that things have moved on since the early 1990s.

Can anybody recommend a solution? I don't want to spend more than £150, and there is a DAC by Beresford that looks a good option, but it is not a company that I am familiar with and so it could be a bit of a gamble.

A

Anonymous

I don't have audiophile ears, just standard issue, but the TEAC UD-H01 I bagged to test some HD audio files with my Mac sounds great IMO. My brother who has many thousands of pounds of Linn kit thought it sounded great whilst playing CD ripped mp3s and ALAC files. Routed to an old NAD amp and some budget Tannoy bookshelfers. The ticket price is £250 - £300, but it can be had for £150 easy :)

manicm

shafesk said:
do let us know about the rest of your system, a lot of the time money is better spent on a better amp or speakers

The OP is looking to get better sound out of his iPod classic, which the recent ones sound awful on their own, hence a DAC he wants to pair with his digital dock. Another amp or speaker won't change this.

From others here and formal reviews the Beresford should do the trick. Or maybe even a secondhand DACMagic.

A

Anonymous

2nd hand Firestone Spitfire MkII DAC would get my vote...

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
My main source is an Arcam CD73 into a Naim NAC 52 and NAP 90 combo. It is rather old, but I like the way they sound. I recently changed my speakers for Totem Dreamcatchers and they have proven to be a revelation. Not as bass light as people had predicted, and very musical. My room is relatively small and they fill it beautifully.

I appreciate that the iPod will never replace the CD player, but will have its time and place. Some interesting DAC recommendations so far, many thanks.

ayjaycee

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
I too use the Pure i20 dock with an iPod Classic, in my case with an optical cable (Chord) which, of course, means that the AVR takes over DAC resposibilities. To my ears, it works well - OK maybe not up to the standards of an expensive dedicated DAC but it would, perhaps, be good enough for the 'occasional' use that you mention. Assuming your amp will take the difital feed, I'd be inclined to try it before going for the more expensive option.

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Absolutely correct. My Naim gear was built with interchangeable phono stages in the preamp, digital sources were still only a twinkle in somebody's eye. I will keep my eyes open for a second hand bargain.

T

the record spot

New - Teac UD-H01, used (as it's too expensive for your budget otherwise) Firestone Audio Spitfire II.

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
manicm said:
shafesk said:
do let us know about the rest of your system, a lot of the time money is better spent on a better amp or speakers

The OP is looking to get better sound out of his iPod classic, which the recent ones sound awful on their own, hence a DAC he wants to pair with his digital dock. Another amp or speaker won't change this.

From others here and formal reviews the Beresford should do the trick. Or maybe even a secondhand DACMagic.

It does depend though, sometimes people expect changes to be brough about from a dac when they are using pc speakers for instance....the speakers and amp atleast need to be decent enough to allow for a dac change to shine through. Otherwise just a simple rca to headphone jack cable from chord or other manufacturers should be good enough to tame the edginess.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts