Budget AVR & Speaker set up help

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All,

I am looking for some advice from all you experts out there. I am no expert in any AV stuff. I am looking to spend around £500 on a home cinema bundle consisting of an AV Receiver and 5.1 speaker set up.

I have narrowed it down to a Yamaha RX-V671 or Denon AVR1912and the Boston Acoustics Soundware XS SE 5.1 - I am more inclined to go with the Yamaha for an extra £35.

The choice for the Boston's are mainly because they are small and more importantly beacuse the sub is small in comapriso to other speaker packages.

Can I get some people's advice to see if this will be a good setup or if I should be looking elsewhere - The room is approx 18.5ft x 11.5ft (5.5m x 3.5m).

Current set up is Samsung UE55D8000, Sky+HD, Xbox360 & Blu-ray player (to be upgraded).

Thanks in advance!

A

Anonymous

Having now decided that the Yamaha is the better choice in comparison to the denon, I am more concerned about the BA. I have heard from several AV retail stores that the BA's have no mid-range and thus are a bad choice. I can't always trust their opinion as they may have other reasons for promoting other brands. So I just wanted people's opinion on whether they do actually sound good or and whether or not I will be able to notice the mid-range issue as I am no AV expert.

Thanks

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Nick77 said:
Having now decided that the Yamaha is the better choice in comparison to the denon, I am more concerned about the BA. I have heard from several AV retail stores that the BA's have no mid-range and thus are a bad choice. I can't always trust their opinion as they may have other reasons for promoting other brands. So I just wanted people's opinion on whether they do actually sound good or and whether or not I will be able to notice the mid-range issue as I am no AV expert.

Thanks

IMO as a first set up it's a great choice and you are not likely to notice the mid-range issue if you have not had previous experience with an AV set up. However as you progress your knowledge of the AV hobby you may find that you will become aware that better systems are available(usually at a higher budget). This i believe is what the retail stores are informing you of now but unless you have lived with a system before hand i don't think you will know/notice the difference. So as an entry into AV it's a good start.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the info. I will go ahead and purchase and then update here on my impressions. Although I'm off on holiday on Sunday, so will be back in 2 weeks.

TRENDING THREADS