Browsing NAS based music files.

def lugs

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I am new to network music, but already my music collection is starting to grow on the fileserver - my current method of playback is Bluray > DAC > Amp. However the interface on the Oppo does not seem to allow a search function. So finding artists/albums mid way down the listings is becoming tedious to say the least, also having to swicth on TV to find tracks is not desireable. I would like a more friendly user interface if possible but I am not too sure the best way to go about it. The music is stored on the fileserver in FLAC format.

How do the other forum users find music on their NAS drives and which players systems have you got?

I have created folders ABC,DEF,GHI...etc. and store under the artists names which enables a jump to approximately the right place, but I still feel I and searching for music while peering through a letter box.

ta

nads

Never seen the appeal of using the BD players interface.

All my music is just filed under artist and I can select what and wh I want as ready as you like.

Have a look at a music streamer like a squeezebox or a Sonos.

amcluesent

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Purpose-designed music streamers like Squeezbox and Sonos don't depend on the directory structure, they build their own library indices by reading the metadata from the FLACs so you can browesearch by Artist, Genre, Album, Track, Year etc.

The 1st thing people realise after buying a streamer is that their FLAC file tagging is a shambles.... :rofl:

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
As you say you are using your blu-ray to stream across the network I assume it is upnp/dlna compatible. You could use your android phone to control it using an app like 2player, so u can browse by the usual artist/album/genre etc on the relatively large phone screen.

...or....

If by fileserver you mean pc - then install a mediaserver like Tversity on it. If you mean a NAS then install something like Twonky onto it. These mediaservers will allow the Oppo to search by the usual artist/album/genre as well.

def lugs

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
nads said:

All my music is just filed under artist and I can select what and wh I want as ready as you like.

Does that mean you still have to scroll through all the artist beginning with A followed by B then C. Or can you jump to artist of your choice? Does the songs have a screen you view or is another interface required?

nads

def lugs said:
nads said:

Does that mean you still have to scroll through all the artist beginning with A followed by B then C. Or can you jump to artist of your choice? Does the songs have a screen you view or is another interface required?
both. or by song or genre or year and then some devices allow a "cover flow" look as well.

jacobmorrison

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
The Oppo is not DLNA certified so third party apps (android or IOS) can't control it. At the moment the only way to stream through the Oppo is using the on-screen browser which is clunky and slow. Squeezebox solutions are great if your NAS is capable of running the squeezebox server, not all of them are. Otherwise if you have an ipod touch or iphone with a digital dock you can get the plugplayer app for a few quid which will stream your FLAC files perfectly. The digital dock will send the FLAC files losslessly to your DAC. Job done.

Trefor Patten

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Some forumeers have criticised it in the past, but I love iTunes for its ease of search. Album/Artist/Genre/Year/rating (mine) even bitrate/sample rate/date ripped can be searched. Obviously this requires a computer or iDevice. Songbird comes a close second.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
jacobmorrison said:
The Oppo is not DLNA certified so third party apps (android or IOS) can't control it.

I think you're wrong there. The Oppo's are DLNA certified at least the newer ones I've seen on their website.

def lugs

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

I have a NAS drive with twonky media server on. I installed EyeconTroller on our ipad it will play music from the server on to the ipad but will not see the oppo 93 player. Eyecontroller does not show any media player s in the player listings - TV, PS3, are there any settings I may have to adjust? All these devices will play from the server directly so does this mean that my equipment is not compatible?

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Having looked into this more - your BD and PS3 are both only certified as DLNA players. In order to push content to them they also need to be DMR (Digital Media Render) certified.

Personally I use an A.C.Ryan playon!HD mini2 (around £80), connected to my amp and controlled by my Android phone. The playon is a full network media player (and renderer) will play virtually any video/audio format (including flac, dvd/bd iso etc),

It might be something for you to consider. As well as having all your music on your NAS, you could rips your DVDs onto it as well.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts