Bristol Show Favourites - hi-fi

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

visionary

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
busb said:
VoodooDoctor said:
Were they running the new Leema Libra through the Kef Blades?

yes
As said above the room was not really big enough. The Elements and the KEFs worked beautifully (we didn't get Dido thankfully). Loved the Quads HATED the Naim demo, awful choice of music, boomy and couldn't work their own kit properly!

Dalis were fab and PMC 20-23s good. Sony 4k2k demo interesting but who has a room big enough?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I think one problem is that people walk into these hotel rooms and hang about at the back wall, or in room's corridor which would be next to the room's bathroom. Bass collects here, so anyone who has ever stood in these awkward places and said that wheat ever speakers in that room were sounding boomy, really should expect them to!

Anyway, I'll add some thoughts, as I was there for all three days.

Negatives? For me, the current Quads don't capture the magic that older Quads had. They now have better bass, and produce quite a big sound, but don't seem to be as transparent as they once were.

Wasnt keen on the Heed room at all. I know what the PMC Twenty series sound like, so either the Heed just didn't match them, or the Heed isn't too good.

The SVS room was being played way too loud. And with lip synch issue, which I find extremely annoying.

The JL room was in stark contrast - being played too quietly in comparison. Even so, the £2.2k sub just lack any get up and go, and reminded me of Sunfire subs. And with lip synch issue.

The KEF demo room had a lip synch issue too. That was the only negative I could pull from that room though.

The WHF room was suffering with lip synch issues too. Are most people immune to this! Am I part of an inflicted few?!

I thought the Blades were sounding a little bass light, lacking some depth. I don't know if this is the Leema electronics, or just the room or room placement.

The expensive Wilson Beneach speakers sounded ok, but I felt they should be putting in a better show performance fr their price point. I don't know if both Torus's were being used at the same time - I don't think they were.

I don't understand some manufacturers who pay a lot of money to be at the show and then either choose naff material to demo their products, dont demonstate them to their fullest capabilities, or just sit around like its the end of the world (its only three days for God's sake!). I just wish I could've took an AV system there and demonstrated it with some interesting and impressive demo material - it'd easily have been the best AV system at the show, putting quite a few to shame.

And we really shouldn't be hearing Money For Nothing any more, or seeing Jurassic Park. I heard the Pink Panther theme way too much on Sunday too...

Positives?

The Spendor D7's in the Chord Cables room I found sounded better than they did in the Spendor room. Rather nice, and nice finish too.

The LS50's in the KEF room sounded pretty amazing with the Bobby McFerrin track.

The Arcam 'room' sounded great with the A19 driving the R300's - one of the better rooms at the show, in my opinion.

The PMC BB5SE's sounded good, but a speaker like that needs to be heard in familiar surroundings.

While I have the SVS room in the negatives, at least they tried to impress by giving a good "trouser flapping" performance. That SB13 was really giving it some!

While the Blades and LS50's lacked a little low end than I am used to them having, they did sound good in the Leema rooms, particularly the Blades, which I think just need better setting up or placement - I don't feel the room was too small.

The 4K Sony TV looked stunning!

Although some material sounded ok in the Chord Electronics room, I think the room itself doesn't do anything in it justice.

The Guru speakers sounded good, but were just a little bass heavy for me, becoming a little muddled as a result.

daveg56

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Always an enjoyable show and always never enough time.

First stop was the WHF demo room , and yes the 4K picture on the Sony screen looked beautiful. A simple demo showing DVD, BD then 4K was a good approach to take.

Like others, impressed with the Guru Junior; and had a long listen to the Quad ESL's. Liked the sound but I'd struggle getting them in the living room!

The 'mains and cables' demo's have continued to be a revelation with the TCI Cables room particularly educational along with Nordost. I've always been cynical about the potential improvement that mains and cables can give but over the last couple of years have really come round and know from my own experience at home it's a pretty damn cost effective way to give my system a significant upgrade.

And a surprise at the very end of my visit were the Leading Edge acoustic panels. Something so seemingly inocuous made a huge and dramatic improvement to the sound of the system - it was like listening to a completely different set of speakers. Profound. Worth checking out.

Just waiting on the email now to say i've won the £10K worth of kit....

Thanks to all involved.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
I just wish I could've took an AV system there and demonstrated it with some interesting and impressive demo material - it'd easily have been the best AV system at the show, putting quite a few to shame.

Modest too! It is all personal opinion, even from those in the trade. I do not believe that the guys who put these rooms together are completely ignorant to good sound. It must have been a long trip to Bristol from the top of that ivory tower.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
wilsmusic said:
interesting to read many of you posting rave reviews of the LS50's and the Gurus, as I am not feeling the love! I guess that confirms what I already thought, that I am and always will be a floorstanding kind of guy...for me the staging and imaging just wasn't there with these little stand mounters, the LS 50's needed to be on stands a foot or so higher as it sounded as if the music were coming from a hole in the floor!

Might I suggest you pay a visit to a doctor, there's something very wrong with your hearing? There's a few things you could say about that demo but not having any soundstage isn't one of them.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
The KEF demo room had a lip synch issue too. That was the only negative I could pull from that room though.

That was Rango wasn't it? I didn't notice any issues with lip sync, although I'm not sure how you tell exactly with animated films?

The LS50's in the KEF room sounded pretty amazing with the Bobby McFerrin track.

Yeah I enjoyed that, what track was it? I've been trying to remember all weekend.

I was a bit non-plussed this year, definitely weren't as many exhibitors and the choice of music this year was the worst yet, I'm not sure there's much point me going to this show anymore, if I can't hear music I'm at least vaguely familiar with I can't make any judgment on a system. All I learned this year was that I don't like smooth vocal jazz, I walked past the majority of rooms as I just didn't want to listen that over and over again.

Some laughable moments: I can't remember what room it was but as I walked past the door I looked in and saw a woman, with a guitar, singing live! What the hell is that going to tell me about a company's products? Ridiculous. Also, sadly, the Focal room, sat down, same dull jazz playing, the rep said "Shall we try some rock?", about time, I thought and then he preceded to play a Nils Lofgren acoustic track, *plaintive moan - strum strum*. I left shortly afterward.

Are all these systems really so bad at re-producing bass that they're afraid to play anything with some bottom end at all?

visionary

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
I think one problem is that people walk into these hotel rooms and hang about at the back wall, or in room's corridor which would be next to the room's bathroom. Bass collects here, so anyone who has ever stood in these awkward places and said that wheat ever speakers in that room were sounding boomy, really should expect them to!

Yes David but when it is a ticketed, timetabled, event one would expect to be able to sit and NOT have to stand at the back |(

We had one seat, halfway down the room, between two of us and sitting down sounded no better than standing at the back partly because of the numebr of heads between the speakers and me - too many people. The software wasn't behaving and the "music" wasn't doing it any favours.

I shall come to see you for a proper demo of the kit I want to hear, you seem to think you can do better and I'm sure you're right

expat

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
was the nordost guy there ? he blows all your cables dont make a difference opinions out of the water and hes a great entertainer.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Well on our multi-brand stand, we were playing whatever people wanted to listen to (from an extensive library) to demo our headphones and speakers. We had requests for everything from The Beatles to James Brown to Katherine Jenkins!

We were also happy for people to connect their own smartphones/players and listen to their own tunes.

I have never seen (or heard) the point of 'demo' music - because you sure don't listen to it at home....

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
richardw42 said:
After reading some of the comments don't think I'll bother any time soon. Sounds a bit dis organised

The usual bearded blokes* in beige coats and brown shoes, no women, over heated rooms, a lot of plastic bags with brochures ... great fun though.

Speaking of manufacturers, sometimes who is conspicuous by their absence says more about them than those that attend ... lets face it, you have to be both brave and confident (or delusional) about your product/s to display in unknown surroundings and be compared directly with others ... . Some don't have the cojones to do that or simply dont have the money or man-power.

regards

* no offense to anyone :)

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
I would have loved to hear the Q Acoustics Concept 20 speakers at the show..........but that's a bit far for me because I live in Holland. Maybe next year.

From what I understand the concept 20 didn't disappoint.............can't wait to hear them.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Cypher said:
I would have loved to hear the Q Acoustics Concept 20 speakers at the show..........but that's a bit far for me because I live in Holland. Maybe next year.

From what I understand the concept 20 didn't disappoint.............can't wait to hear them.

Yeah they sounded alright, although the rep's habit of skipping to another track after no more than about ten seconds was pretty irritating and made it a little difficult to tell.

KeithT

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
I used to go to the Heathrow Penta show many many years ago (20+) with my dad (who died last year) and was conscious that in those days there were a few key demo (vinyl) albums: Brothers in Arms, Diamond Life, Yello - The Race so imagine my surprise to walk into my first room and hear (vinyl) Sade being played and then into the Chord room (nice kit) and hear Yello being played! Quite emotional. :cry:

Apart from that I thought that the show was a bit ho hum.:oops:

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
FrankHarveyHiFi said:

That was Rango wasn't it? I didn't notice any issues with lip sync, although I'm not sure how you tell exactly with animated films?

I can't remember which clip I saw now, but it wasn't Rango. Lip synch issues can be noticed with any material, speech or no speech. Some are more prone to it than others though.

Yeah I enjoyed that, what track was it? I've been trying to remember all weekend.[/quote]

It was the Pink Panther theme (not sure what it is called).

Are all these systems really so bad at re-producing bass that they're afraid to play anything with some bottom end at all?

These less than perfect rooms probably cause more bass issues than anything, and using a track that doesn't rely on low or heavy bass can hide a multitude of sins.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
The_Lhc said:
FrankHarveyHiFi said:

I can't remember which clip I saw now, but it wasn't Rango. Lip synch issues can be noticed with any material, speech or no speech.

I know but with an animated movie the lip movements are never going to perfectly match the voices (cos they're not real man!).

Some are more prone to it than others though.

Got to admit I didn't notice anything with the WHF demo either, mind you I can't even remember what they were showing...

Yeah I enjoyed that, what track was it? I've been trying to remember all weekend.

It was the Pink Panther theme (not sure what it is called).

Oh yeah, I remember now.

These less than perfect rooms probably cause more bass issues than anything, and using a track that doesn't rely on low or heavy bass can hide a multitude of sins.

Yeah I can imagine, still irritating though.

One other thing I took away from the show: I don't think I need to see The Dark Knight Rises now... #seenallthegoodbitsthanks

Thanks everyone - Great thread and very useful feedback for all us exhibitors.

Special thanks of course go to everyone who came and listened to our new Q Acoustics 'Concept 20' loudspeaker.

As everyone who came to our room will know, we arehttp://dictionary.reference.com/browse/immensely immensely proud of them; so it was very rewarding to hear so many very positive comments over the weekend, and again here on the forum.

Lastly, to all those wonderful people who actually placed orders for the speakers at the show - they are on their way! The ship is scheduled to dock late in the second week of March, so your Concept 20s should be with you somtime in the third week March.

best regards everyone,

Steve Reichert - PR Manager, Armour Home (Q Acoustics)

Bluezip82

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
Did anyone get to hear the SVS Ultra Tower speakers and what did you think of them? i heard them with the home theatre set up and I have never heard so much room shaking bass!

domenn

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Does anybody know what speakers were used in Rel room , with Habitat 1 Wireless subwoofer .? It sounded very good , the apm was Peachtree AudioDecco very nice amp .Rega room let me down :mad: maybe it was new Elicit ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts