Bright OR Warm???

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="plastic penguin"][quote user="JohnDuncan"]I have a Creek and I called it neutral, but meant it in a good way. I bought it because I thought what I wanted was an uncoloured presentation of music - absolute high fidelity. The Creek does that for me, but I'm starting to find I miss a bit of that colour (some might call it distortion, or lack of faithful reproduction) which makes 'hifi' into 'music'.

So in other words whilst it is the closest to faithful reproduction I could find (that I could afford), I'm starting to find it a bit boring. The Primare I've bought to replace it might be marginally less faithful because it retains the top end sparkle, as you say, but adds a bit of warmth in the midrange (think the 'voices' bit) and colour - not only to voices but strings and guitars - that I think I was missing, and think I'm more happy (though less faithful, hifi-wise) as a result.

And the moral of this simple tale is - it's all a subjective, personal thing. Hear something, like it, buy it. Don't worry about warm or bright or neutral or bassy or five stars or three stars.

jd[/quote]

Totally agree with JD's summary. Also consider the room - the size, whether u have carpet or hard floor, wallpaper, furnishings etc. All of the above will determine whether it will be good sounding or ropey. . . .[/quote]

I've considered my room, the size of it and the carpet but still not sure.

Some of my recordings sound bright and some sound slightly warm... I'd say tepid.

Vanman, it's forcast cloudy here tomorrow. ;o(

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I have to say JD...

fuzzy...Arcam.

You're having a laugh!

The Arcam system that I have is anything but fuzzy, slightly warm perhaps, certainly not bright (although Coldplay doesn't sound great). Most of the stuff that I listen to is crystal clear and engaging. Shut your eyes...nearly as good as sex

A

Anonymous

[quote user="matengawhat"]What would people say Roksan kit was? I'd say neutral but edging towards warm[/quote]

In my opinion you have to carefully pair the Roksan to the right speakers but its very neutral and natural sounding, pretty close to the source for me, I definitely wouldn't say warm though.

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="timwileman"]not sure i know what you mean, lean as in not fat? are you meaning that the roksan kit ''removes'' notes or some of the low end? i didnt find that the bottom was missing more that the top was more ....well available is the best word i could use, but when i heard it with the arcam amp it seemed a neutral ie equal sound........also the quick but neutral eops suited the system quite well to my ears........but as they say each to their own.[/quote]

Sorry, I was talking about the Kandy Integrated. The midrange is not bloomy with quite extended treble. The bass is powerful and tight though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts